Categories: Sports

19-year-old Mensik shocks Djokovic to win Miami Open

Czech teenager Jakub Mensik upset Novak Djokovic 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/4) to win the Miami Open at Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday.

19-year-old Mensik, with the victory, denied Djokovic his 100th career title.

Mensik, ranked 54th in the world, claimed his first title on the ATP Tour with an outstanding display of powerful tennis.

The final was delayed by almost six hours due to heavy rain and when the players emerged it was clear that Djokovic had an eye infection. He used eye-drops during a changeover in the first set.

Mensik started strongly, breaking Djokovic’s first serve game to go 2-0 up and the tall, big-serving Czech was dominating until, at 4-2 Djokovic broke back when Mensik found the net.

The set remained on serve from then on, but in the tie-break Mensik’s powerful serve, with two aces, put him in charge from the outset.

He opened up a 5-0 lead and although 24-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic fought back the youngster sealed the set with an overhead volley.

It was the first set that Djokovic had lost in the entire tournament. Twice he lost his footing and ended up on his back, and he changed his footwear between sets.

Mensik had beaten Djokovic by the exact same margin in the first set of their only other meeting in Shanghai before losing in three sets.

This time, however, the momentum appeared to be with him.

The second set was a nip and tuck affair, though, with neither player able to break.

Once again, Mensik’s power proved decisive in the tie-break and when Djokovic went long on a return to hand him victory he fell to his back in celebration.

Mensik said in his on-court interview: “To be honest, I don’t know what to say. It feels incredible, obviously.

Man City to play N’Forest as Crystal Palace face Aston Villa in FA Cup semi-finals

“It was probably the biggest day of my life and I did super, which I’m really glad about, to show the performance and keep the nerves outside of the court before the match.

“I feel just super happy and I think that the feelings will come later.”

Mensik has made no secret of the fact that he grew up with Djokovic as his idol and after receiving the trophy, he said that he started his career in the hope of emulating the Serb.

He added: “There is no harder task for a tennis player than to beat you in the final of a tournament.

“I am pretty sure that this was just the first of many.”

Mensik revealed that he had been close to pulling out of the tournament before his first match due to a knee injury before last minute physiotherapy produced the desired results.

After the match Djokovic admitted he had not felt at his best.

He said: “It’s unfortunate for me. Two tiebreaks, just very weird match, weird day with rain delay and all the things that were happening.

“Honestly, yeah, I didn’t feel my greatest on the court, but it is what it is. Nothing to take away from his victory.”

Asked specifically about his eye problem, the Serb said: “I really prefer not to talk about – there are quite a few things, but I prefer not to… just congratulate him. That’s it. I don’t want to sound like I’m giving excuses here for my loss.”

The match between the 37-year-old Djokovic and Mensik was the biggest age gap difference in a Masters 1000 final and the biggest age gap of any tour-level final since 1976.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PHOTOS: Police arrest illegal mortician in Akamkpa

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…

1 hour ago

UBA launches platform to connect global Africans with investments, wealth opportunities

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…

2 hours ago

Ribadu directs El-Rufai to submit evidence on toxic chemical purchase to DSS

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has asked Nasir El-Rufai, former governor of…

3 hours ago

Gov AbdulRazaq faces backlash over pledge to deliver FCT for APC amid Kwara insecurity

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has come under heavy criticism after a viral video…

4 hours ago

NLC demands end to power privatisation, condemns N3trn GenCo bailout

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned Nigeria’s electricity privatisation, describing the exercise as a…

6 hours ago

Miyetti Allah denies terror links, seeks FG intervention over US sanctions bill

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has denied any involvement in banditry,…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.