Categories: Just Politics

8 missing skiers found dead in California

Eight of the nine skiers missing in California after an avalanche have been found dead and one remains missing in horrific blizzard conditions.

Rescuers have been desperately searching for the group, which was caught in the avalanche in the early hours of Tuesday on Castle Peak in the Tahoe area.

“We are still looking for one of the members at this time,” Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon said on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, warning that the storm is hampering any movement.

“Extreme weather conditions I would say is an understatement: lots of snow, gale-force winds, winds making it impossible to see,” Moon added.

Sugar Bowl Academy said multiple victims were linked to the private, ski-focused school, without identifying the people.

The school’s executive director, Stephen McMahon, said in a statement: “We are an incredibly close and connected community. This tragedy has affected each and every one of us.

“The best thing we can do is surround our athletes and families with care and support while providing the necessary space and time for grief and healing.”

NCC invites stakeholders’ input on telecom policy review

Blackbird Mountain Guides, the company leading the doomed backcountry trip, said the 11 clients and four guides had been staying at the Frog Lake huts since Sunday and were “in the process of returning” back to base.

Over 40 first responders launched the search, according to officials, including “highly skilled rescue ski teams” from both Boreal Mountain Ski Resort and Tahoe Donner’s Alder Creek Adventure Center.

But after quickly finding the six known survivors, the teams came up empty handed.

Experts had warned of severe avalanche risk, AFP reported, adding that California Governor Gavin Newsom has been briefed on the operation.

The National Weather Service said parts of the Sierra Nevadas above 3,500 feet could see up to eight feet of snow, with wind gusts as strong as 55 miles (90 kilometers) an hour.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Appeal Court deploys 51 justices to Rivers

The Court of Appeal of Nigeria has deployed 51 justices to its Port Harcourt Division…

4 hours ago

UniAbuja student disappears on way to CBT exam

The management of the University of Abuja has called on the public to help locate…

4 hours ago

117 repentant terrorists graduate from Safe Corridor programme

No fewer than 117 repentant terrorists from Borno State have successfully completed the Disarmament, Rehabilitation…

4 hours ago

FCT election: Wike declares Friday work-free day, restricts movement on Saturday

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has announced work free day…

5 hours ago

Postecoglou: I made bad decision to join Nottingham Forest

Ange Postecoglou says he made "a bad decision" to become the manager of Premier League…

7 hours ago

INEC, security agencies ready for Kano assembly by-elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies in Kano State have expressed readiness for…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.