The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed 329,865.585 kilogrammes of assorted illicit drugs valued at N301.06 billion in Lagos.
The drugs, which included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, cannabis, Canadian Loud, skunk, ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup, other opioids and khat leaves, were destroyed on Monday following orders from the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division.
The NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi, said the exercise followed the conclusion of uncontested cases and the seizure of drugs in cases that had been abandoned.
He said 246,864.535kg of the drugs were seized by the agency’s Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026, while the remaining 83,001.05kg were recovered by the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, Marine Command and Special Operations Unit.
Speaking during the destruction exercise, the NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), described the exercise as evidence of the government’s determination to disrupt the illicit drug trade.
Marwa said the drugs represented potential threats to individuals, families and communities, adding that drug trafficking also contributed to organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism.
He said illicit drugs could weaken the labour force, increase healthcare costs, discourage investment and divert public resources that should be spent on education, healthcare and infrastructure.
The NDLEA chairman commended the judiciary, Lagos State Government, military, other security agencies, international partners, civil society organisations, traditional institutions and members of the public for supporting the agency’s anti-drug operations.
He also warned drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers that the agency would continue to pursue their networks and financial structures.
“Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you,” he said.
Marwa urged Nigerians, particularly parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders and the media, to support the fight against drug abuse and trafficking.
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, described the destruction of about 300 tonnes of narcotics and psychotropic substances as a reminder of the scale of the drug threat facing communities and young people.
Represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, the governor said the exercise demonstrated the results that could be achieved through collaboration among law enforcement agencies, the judiciary and government.
“Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent in our efforts to do this,” he said.
The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, also commended the NDLEA, saying the destruction sent a strong warning to drug traffickers operating in the country.
He noted that the seized drugs were recovered through operations at seaports, airports and land borders, adding that their destruction would deny criminal groups billions of naira in potential revenue.
Adeniyi said drug trafficking was closely linked to the activities of bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists, who rely on illicit funds to sustain their operations.
The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding, Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, assured the NDLEA of continued support for efforts to combat illicit drug trafficking in Nigeria.
- Man caught with $73,300, £15,957, 827,800 SAR at Kano airport - August 17, 2026
- Trump escalates Iran pressure with Oman warning - August 17, 2026
- NDLEA destroys N301bn illicit drugs in Lagos - August 17, 2026







