The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has expressed confidence that no fewer than 10 major road and infrastructure projects in Abuja will be completed and ready for commissioning before the 2027 general election.
Wike gave the assurance during an inspection of the ongoing Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road and Nile University-RR3 Road projects on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, saying the contractors handling them had demonstrated the capacity, equipment, and commitment required to meet their delivery timelines.
The minister said the inspection was part of efforts to assess the progress of projects flagged off during the FCT Administration’s third anniversary and determine whether the contractors would meet their commitments ahead of the planned commissioning.
At the Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road project, Wike disclosed that five of the six box culverts had been completed, describing the pace of work as commendable.
Wike said the contractor, China Geo-Engineering Corporation (CGC), had assured the administration that the project would be completed and handed over by December.
“They have the capacity. I mean, they are not a new company. They have the capacity; they have the equipment. What’s important is if you have the equipment, and they have the equipment as part of capacity. So, they’ve been tested before now, so I have so much confidence in them,” Wike said.
The minister commended CGC for its commitment, noting that the company had demonstrated willingness to support the development of the FCT.
Wike also disclosed that the projects were capital-intensive and that contractors had yet to receive up to 30 per cent mobilisation, but had continued to execute the projects.
He assured the contractors that the FCT Administration would meet its financial obligations to ensure timely completion.
Wike added: “On our part, we will not take it for granted that they are committed to the realization of the project. We will do our own part to pay them their money.
“We are also visiting some other two projects tomorrow, believing that by the end of the year, we would have had up to 10 projects, as promised, lined up for commissioning before the general election.”
Wike also said the FCT Administration had intensified efforts to tackle flooding by removing structures obstructing waterways across Abuja.
The minister said the ongoing demolition exercise, which commenced in Maitama on Tuesday, would be extended to other areas affected by blocked waterways.
“We’ve just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday,” he said.
Wike further disclosed that the Director of Development Control was being queried over approvals allegedly granted to car dealers to operate on designated green areas.
Wike bans use of Abuja green areas, parks as car dealership lots
Wike ordered the immediate removal of car dealerships operating on such spaces, insisting that green areas must be preserved for recreational and environmental purposes.
The minister stated: “This morning, the Director of Development Control is being queried now for giving approval to car dealers to use green areas for the sale of cars.
“I’ve already stopped it, and I’ve set up a task force to make sure that every car dealer is moved out of the green areas. If you want to sell your car, you go and purchase somewhere, or rent somewhere, and then develop it.”
The minister maintained that the decision would not be reversed, regardless of the individuals or businesses affected.
He said the removal of structures erected on waterways would restore the free flow of stormwater and reduce the risk of flooding in affected communities.
Reacting to criticism on social media over the demolition of structures obstructing waterways, Wike challenged critics questioning the exercise to explain whether the construction of buildings on water channels followed due process.
“What is due process? You went to block a water channel, is that due process?” he asked.
The minister maintained that the FCT Administration was enforcing planning and environmental regulations in line with its responsibility to protect public infrastructure and communities.
Wike vowed that the enforcement exercise would continue until structures obstructing drainage channels and other public infrastructure were removed.
- Sanwo-Olu gifts 2 LASU best graduating students N40m - August 19, 2026
- Osun guber: Adeleke, deputy receive INEC certificate of return - August 19, 2026
- Ogun 2027: Awori monarchs reject Adebutu, back Yayi’s governorship bid - August 19, 2026







