Advertisement

The US Department of Defense has dismissed the editor-in-chief and publisher of Stars and Stripes, the military newspaper that has covered American troops since the Civil War, amid growing tensions over editorial independence.

Editor-in-chief Erik Slavin confirmed to US media that he was fired on Friday for alleged “insubordination” after discussing his disagreements with the Pentagon in an interview with CBS News.

Publisher Max Lederer was also informed that his employment had been terminated, despite announcing his retirement from the publication just three days earlier. Lederer had served as publisher since 2007.

Reporter Lara Korte also said she was dismissed for “insubordination” after telling CBS that she worked for Stars and Stripes, rather than the Pentagon, any administration or policymaker.

The dismissals come amid a broader dispute over the editorial direction and independence of the publication, which receives partial funding from the Department of Defense but has traditionally maintained editorial independence.

Earlier this year, the Pentagon indicated that it wanted Stars and Stripes to shift its coverage away from what it described as “woke distractions.”

The latest dismissals also followed a report by the newspaper on difficult conditions faced by crew members aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln. The report attracted renewed criticism of President Donald Trump’s handling of the war with Iran.

Slavin had previously spoken publicly about what he considered unacceptable interference in the newspaper’s editorial decisions.

During a CBS interview last month, he said it would cross a “red line” if the Pentagon instructed the publication to abandon an accurate report and instead publish material written by the department.

Lederer had announced his retirement on Tuesday, saying his decision was driven by fundamental differences between his understanding of Stars and Stripes’ mission and the Pentagon’s plans for the organisation.

Concerns over the newspaper’s independence have intensified under Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, who has repeatedly clashed with sections of the US media since taking office in 2025.

The appointment of active-duty US Navy Captain William Urban as military deputy to the publisher shortly before Lederer’s retirement had also sparked concerns among journalists and Democratic lawmakers that Pentagon influence over the publication was increasing.

The latest dismissals are expected to further fuel debate over the editorial independence of the military newspaper and the extent of government influence over its coverage.

Advertisement