Breaking News

‘Action’ll be taken’: CAF probes Super Eagles ordeal at Libya airport

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) says it has commenced an investigation into the ill-treatment of Super Eagles players by Libyan authorities at the Al Abaq Airport in the North African country.

CAF said its Disciplinary Board for Investigation has commenced an investigation into the incident, noting that appropriate action will be taken against violators of the Federation’s rules.

CAF made this known in a statement on Monday.

It stated: “The Confederation Africaine de Football (CAF) has been in contact with the Libyan and Nigerian authorities after it had been informed that the Nigerian National Football Team (‘Super Eagles’) and their technical team were stranded in disturbing conditions for several hours at an airport that they were allegedly instructed to land by the Libyan authorities.

“The matter has been referred to the CAF Disciplinary Board for investigation and appropriate action will be taken against those who violated the CAF Statutes and Regulations.”

‘Our plane is being fueled’: Super Eagles set to depart Libya for Nigeria

The Super Eagles were on Sunday held hostage by Libyan authorities at the Al Abaq Airport.

The team were billed to play Libya in the return leg of the 2025 AFCON qualifiers on Tuesday.

Nigeria defeated Libya 1-0 in the first leg in Akwa Ibom last Friday to maintain leadership of Group D.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, also said the Libyan authorities refused to grant the Nigerian government access to where Super Eagles were held.

Tuggar made this known in a statement on Monday, saying: “I have been closely monitoring the situation involving the Super Eagles in Libya.

“Through the Head of Nigerian Mission in Tripoli, Libya, Amb. Stephen Anthony Awuru, the Mission has maintained contact with the NFF, and the Libyan authorities since last night.

“Despite efforts, Libyan authorities have not yet authorized the Nigerian Mission’s trip to Bayda City, where the airport is located.

“In the meantime, the Head of the Nigerian Community in Benghazi, Mr. Morris Eromosele, arrived at the location at 6 am this morning with necessary supplies and internet access. We will continue to follow developments and await a report for further action.”

Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong later revealed that the team were set to depart Libya for Nigeria after they were left stranded in the country.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Policeman dies in Third Mainland Bridge accident

A policeman has been confirmed dead in an accident on Third Mainland Bridge, inward Iyana…

31 minutes ago

Death toll hits 80 as WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo international emergency

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of…

43 minutes ago

Supporter killed, several injured in violence at Lagos APC primaries

A yet-to-be-identified man has been shot dead, while several others sustained injuries following a violent…

2 hours ago

Oil nears $110 amid Trump’s Iran threat

Global oil prices climbed to $109.3 per barrel on Sunday amid escalating tensions in the…

2 hours ago

Otti, LP clash with Abure over disputed nomination forms

A fresh leadership crisis has emerged within the Labour Party as Abia State Governor Alex…

2 hours ago

Hoodlums rape woman to death in Lagos

Residents of Oke Egan in the Ilogbo-Eremi area of Badagry, Lagos State, were left in…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.