Categories: CrimesNews

Beggars now drug couriers — FCTA

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has raised concerns over the alleged exploitation of beggars and vulnerable persons by criminal networks to transport illicit drugs across parts of Abuja.

The Secretary of the FCT Command and Control Centre, Peter Olumuji, disclosed this on Monday during the ongoing enforcement exercise tagged Operation Sweep, noting that security intelligence indicates increasing use of destitute persons for criminal activities.

Olumuji said street beggars and persons with disabilities were being deliberately recruited as drug couriers, particularly for night-time operations aimed at avoiding security detection.

He said, “From intelligence we have gathered over time, they use them to courier illicit drugs, especially at night.”

According to him, the strategy is designed to exploit public assumptions and evade law enforcement attention, adding that individuals with disabilities are often targeted because they attract less suspicion.

“Who would suspect that a physically challenged person could courier illicit drugs? But they use them to do that,” he said.

Olumuji also expressed concern that some of those removed during enforcement operations may be linked to wider criminal networks, either as couriers or informants.

He further alleged that enforcement officials sometimes face resistance during raids, with suspects reportedly using mobility aids and other objects to attack personnel.

The FCTA said the ongoing operation is part of efforts to curb street begging, improve public order, and strengthen security across the capital city.

The Head of FCT Enforcement, Ulkacha Adebayo, said 54 persons were evacuated during the latest operation, including 45 adults and nine children.

She added that in the past three months, a total of 835 individuals had been removed from the streets, bringing the figure to 889.

According to her, those evacuated are being profiled and moved to government rehabilitation centres for welfare support and vocational training.

Adebayo said the exercise is ongoing in major districts such as Maitama, Asokoro, Garki, Wuse, and Gwarinpa, under directives from the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.

The FCTA reiterated that the enforcement drive will continue as part of broader measures to address street begging, urban insecurity, and social welfare challenges in the nation’s capital.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Delegates, journalists flee as gunshots disrupt Ondo APC senatorial primaries

Delegates and journalists scampered for safety after the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election…

29 minutes ago

Wike seals Abuja collapse site, orders probe

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered a full investigation into…

1 hour ago

APC reverses Plateau Reps primaries, declares Gagdi winner

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has overturned the earlier outcome of its Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam (PKK) House…

1 hour ago

Students are key to anti-corruption war — Olukoyede

The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede, has called…

2 hours ago

Uba Sani names Suleiman Sa’ad Abubakar new Emir of Kagarko

Governor Uba Sani has approved the appointment of Alhaji Suleiman Sa’ad Abubakar as the new…

2 hours ago

Judiciary essential to national stability — Uba Sani

Governor Uba Sani has described the judiciary as a fundamental pillar of modern society, saying…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.