Karim Benzema has filed a complaint for defamation against France’s Minister of Interior, Gerald Darmanin, who in 2023 said the former Real Madrid star had “notorious” links with the Muslim Brotherhood.
The complaint filed on Tuesday, January 16, 2024, has been lodged with the Cour de Justice, the only French court empowered to prosecute government officials for offences committed while exercising their duties.
Darmanin, a tough-talking right-winger with designs on the French presidency, criticised Benzema after the former France striker and 2022 Ballon d’Or winner posted on X (formerly Twitter) in mid-October in support of the inhabitants of Gaza, who, he claimed, were victims of “unjust bombardments” carried out by Israel in retaliation for the bloody Hamas attack of October 7.
The minister reacted to Benzema’s post by alleging that the player “has a notorious link with the Muslim Brotherhood”, a Sunni Muslim Islamist group with its origins in Egypt.
READ ALSO: Benzema, French minister clash over Islamic group links
Benzema’s complaint, lodged by lawyer Hugues Vigier and seen by AFP, said these remarks “undermine” the player’s honour and reputation.
In his complaint, Benzema, a Muslim who plays for Saudi club Al-Ittihad, said he “has never had the slightest link with the Muslim Brotherhood organisation, nor to (his) knowledge with anyone who claims to be a member of it.”
“I am aware of the extent to which, because of my notoriety, I am being used in political games, which are all the more scandalous given that the dramatic events since October 7 deserve something quite different from this type of statement,” he added.
In October, Darmanin said he had “nothing against” Benzema, but that it was “astonishing” that the footballer had not tweeted in support of the Israelis killed in the Hamas attack, or the French teacher stabbed to death by an Islamist former pupil earlier this month.
“I publicly called for him to tweet for that teacher who for absolutely nothing, is dead because of Islamist terrorism, and he didn’t do it,” the minister later said on a visit to Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Darmanin also referred to Benzema’s refusal to sing the national anthem when playing for France, and his “proselytising on social networks”.
Manchester City have accepted a £65.4 million (€76.5 million) bid from Barcelona for their star…
Security authorities in Niger have arrested 331 people, including 27 minors, during a major anti-drug…
The vice-presidential candidate of Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Rabiu Kwankwaso, says his decision to be…
Two people died when fires broke out on a Greek island, and Belgium was tackling…
The Zamfara State Government has begun training 250 teachers, evaluators and education administrators in artificial…
Osun State Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) and…
This website uses cookies.