Just Politics

Court declines to block Musk from accessing data, sacking U.S. workers

A United States court, on Tuesday, February 18, 2025, declined a request to temporarily block Elon Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) from firing federal employees and accessing agency data.

This is a victory for U.S. President Donald Trump in his bid to shrink the government workforce.

14 Democratic-ruled states had filed suit last week contesting Musk’s legal authority but District Judge Tanya Chutkan denied their emergency request to pause his actions.

“Plaintiffs have not carried their burden of showing that they will suffer imminent, irreparable harm absent a temporary restraining order,” Chutkan said.

DOGE is a free-ranging entity run by Musk, the world’s richest person and Trump’s biggest donor. The billionaire has taken an assertive role in the new administration, with his agency aiming to cut hundreds of billions of dollars in government spending.

His plans have effectively shuttered some federal agencies, sent thousands of staff members home and sparked legal battles across the country.

In their suit, the 14 states claimed that Musk and DOGE lacked statutory authority for their actions because he had not been formally nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate.

“Musk exercises virtually unchecked power across the Executive Branch, making decisions about expenditures, contracts, government property, regulations, and the very existence of federal agencies,” they said.

In addition, Musk and DOGE have gained access to “sensitive data, information, systems, and technological and financial infrastructure across the federal government,” they added.

The 14 states had sought to block DOGE from accessing the data systems of the Office of Personnel Management and the Departments of Education, Labor, Health and Human Services, Energy, Transportation and Commerce, and from terminating any of their employees.

Musk: I’m not interested in buying TikTok

Chutkan, in her ruling, said: “The court is aware that DOGE’s unpredictable actions have resulted in considerable uncertainty and confusion for Plaintiffs and many of their agencies and residents.

“But the possibility that defendants may take actions that irreparably harm plaintiffs is not enough.”

Musk’s cost-cutting spree has been met with legal pushback on a number of fronts and a mixed bag of rulings.

A different federal judge last week lifted a freeze he had temporarily imposed on a mass buyout plan offered by Trump’s administration to federal workers, AFP reported.

In the mass buyout case, labor unions representing federal employees had filed suit to block the scheme masterminded by Musk to slash the size of government by encouraging federal workers to quit.

In an email titled “Fork in the Road,” the more than two million U.S. government employees were given an offer to leave with eight months’ pay or risk being fired in future culls.

According to the White House, more than 75,000 federal employees signed on to the buyout offer from the Office of Personnel Management.

Trump’s executive actions have been challenged in dozens of court cases and the White House has accused “judges in liberal districts” of “abusing their power” to block the president’s moves.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

NAFDAC alerts Nigerians on revalidated infant milk formula

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has alerted the public…

5 minutes ago

Nigeria wins $6.2m arbitration case against European tech firm

Nigeria has secured a major victory in an international arbitration after a tribunal dismissed all…

1 hour ago

EPL: Arsenal thrash Tottenham as Liverpool beat Nottingham Forest

Arsenal defeated Tottenham to restore their five-point lead at the top of the Premier League…

1 hour ago

Air-ground offensive repels Kukawa attack, destroys gun trucks

Troops have foiled a coordinated terrorist assault on military positions in Kukawa following an overnight…

1 hour ago

Wike hails Tinubu, says FCT polls show ‘ruling, real opposition party’

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has commended President Bola Tinubu over…

2 hours ago

EFCC arrests 20 over electoral offences in FCT polls

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission have arrested 20 suspects over alleged electoral…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.