Categories: News

Court summons Wike, Buratai, Uzodinma, others as witnesses in Nnamdi Kanu’s trial

The Federal High Court in Abuja has issued and signed witness summonses for 23 prominent Nigerians listed by the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, to testify in his ongoing terrorism trial.

Those summoned include the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike; Governors Hope Uzodinma of Imo and Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos; as well as former Chiefs of Army Staff, Generals T.Y. Danjuma and Tukur Buratai.

Justice Omotosho confirmed the development in court on Thursday, noting that Kanu’s application had been approved and that he was expected to personally collect and serve the summonses on the witnesses in accordance with legal procedure.

During the resumed hearing, Kanu surprised the courtroom by announcing that he had dismissed his entire legal team and would henceforth represent himself.

His former lead counsel, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), confirmed the withdrawal, stating that the defence team respected Kanu’s decision.

“The defendant has decided to take this case back from us, and we respect his choice,” Agabi said, adding that other Senior Advocates of Nigeria on the team — including Onyechi Ikpeazu, Joseph Akubo, Paul Erokoro, and Emeka Etiaba — had also withdrawn.

Following the withdrawal, Justice Omotosho directed all members of Kanu’s legal team, except the SANs, to leave the courtroom before inviting Kanu to proceed with his defence.

However, Kanu declined to open his defence, insisting that the court lacked jurisdiction to try him.

He argued that the Federal Government had disobeyed a previous Court of Appeal judgment that ordered his release, and that the laws under which he was charged — the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment) Act 2013 and the Customs and Excise Act — had been repealed.

He also alleged denial of fair hearing, claiming that his detention by the Department of State Services (DSS) hindered proper consultation with his lawyers.

Additionally, Kanu rejected a medical report presented by a Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) team, describing it as falsified.

“The Federal Government is in contempt of the Court of Appeal judgment that acquitted me. I was never examined by any medical team, and no samples were taken from me. The report before this court is forged,” Kanu told the court.

In response, the prosecuting counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), countered that Kanu’s claims carried no legal weight since they were not supported by a sworn affidavit.

He further stated that the Supreme Court had, on December 15, 2023, nullified the Court of Appeal judgment on which Kanu relied.

“The judgment that discharged him has been set aside by the Supreme Court,” Awomolo said, adding that Kanu’s former lawyers had earlier reviewed the medical report and raised no objection.

Justice Omotosho recalled that the same report had been discussed on October 16, and that the court had already ruled on it.

He reminded Kanu that he had earlier been given the opportunity to defend himself after the court found he had a case to answer.

When asked again to proceed with his defence, Kanu requested more time, saying he had not been given adequate opportunity to prepare.

“I only had three hours yesterday in this courtroom.

“Section 36 of the Constitution allows me adequate facilities to defend myself. My lord, I need time,” he pleaded.

The prosecution did not oppose the request, prompting Justice Omotosho to adjourn the matter until Friday, October 24, for Kanu to open his defence.

Before adjourning, the judge advised the IPOB leader to use the opportunity wisely, saying, “I beg the defendant, in the name of the Almighty God, to comport himself and make use of his constitutional right. This is his chance to tell his own side of the story.”

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Students are key to anti-corruption war — Olukoyede

The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede, has called…

15 minutes ago

Uba Sani names Suleiman Sa’ad Abubakar new Emir of Kagarko

Governor Uba Sani has approved the appointment of Alhaji Suleiman Sa’ad Abubakar as the new…

29 minutes ago

Judiciary essential to national stability — Uba Sani

Governor Uba Sani has described the judiciary as a fundamental pillar of modern society, saying…

32 minutes ago

Court orders El-Rufai to sign DSS register monthly

The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to…

1 hour ago

FULL LIST: APC disqualifies Murray-Bruce, 46 senatorial aspirants ahead of primaries

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has released the list of senatorial aspirants not cleared to…

1 hour ago

EFCC targets over N123bn recovery from six ex-Buhari ministers

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is pursuing the recovery of more than N123.7bn…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.