News

EFCC arraigns man for N84m SUV fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday arraigned one Edrian Osagie Ididia before Justice S.O. Solebo of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos State.

Ididia is facing a two-count charge bordering on stealing and obtaining money by false pretence to the tune of N84 million.

One of the counts read: “Edrian Osagie Ididia, between the 13th day of September 2019 and the 29th day of October 2019 at Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, with intent to defraud, fraudulently obtained the sum of N84,000,000 from Mr. Mark David Umeh on the false representation that you had three Sports Utility Vehicles for sale to Mr. Mark David Umeh, which representation you knew was false.”

Another count read: “Edrian Osagie Ididia, between the 13th day of September 2019 and the 29th day of October 2019 at Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, dishonestly stole and converted to your own use the sum of N84,000,000, property of Mr. Mark David Umeh.”

The defendant, however, pleaded “not guilty” when the charges were read to him in the court on Wednesday.

In view of his plea, the prosecuting counsel, M.K. Hussain, prayed the court for a trial date and for the remand of the defendant.

Defence counsel, Victor Chinedu, however, told the court about the bail application of the Idibia, which he said had also been served on the prosecution.

“The defendant had earlier been granted bail by the Federal High Court, and he has fulfilled the conditions,” he said.

Chinedu added that the defendant was again arrested by operatives of the EFCC upon his release.

While opposing the bail application, Hussain told the court that the prosecution had filed a nine-paragraph counter-affidavit, and further argued that the defendant constituted a flight-risk.

He said: “Indeed, the defendant was granted bail before the Federal High Court.

“However, the defendant is resident in Canada and does not have any known address in Nigeria.

“Even though the defendant spent the whole of last year in Nigeria, there is no residential address, which the defendant can be traced to.

“He is living from one hotel to the other,” the prosecuting counsel said.

Justice Solebo then adjourned the matter till February 11, for ruling on the application and ordered the remand of the defendant at the Correctional Centre pending the ruling.

TheStar

Editor

Recent Posts

Hull City promoted to Premier League for first time in 9 years

Hull City were promoted to the Premier League after a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in…

4 minutes ago

Police rescue 12 kidnapped passengers, intensify search for others in Ondo

The operatives of the Ondo State Police Command have rescued 12 passenger abducted by gunmen…

56 minutes ago

Kaduna APC members unanimously endorse Tinubu for 2027

Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State have unanimously endorsed President Bola…

2 hours ago

Tinubu secures landslide win as rival polls zero at Ikoyi APC primary

President Bola Tinubu recorded a sweeping victory at the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary…

4 hours ago

2027: Ganduje’s son joins Reps race under NDC

AbdulAziz Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, son of former APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has entered…

5 hours ago

Tinubu: APC deepening democracy via transparent primaries

President Bola Tinubu on Saturday described the conduct of the 2026 All Progressives Congress (APC)…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.