The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have launched investigations into the utilisation of N12 billion released by the Federal Government to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for outstanding players’ wages, allowances and bonuses.
A source familiar with the investigation told our correspondent that some NFF officials had been invited by the anti-corruption agencies and had provided statements.
“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.
The investigation became public after the NFF declined a Freedom of Information request seeking financial records and utilisation documents relating to the N12 billion intervention fund.
In a letter dated August 18, 2026, and signed by Onoja Joshua on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said the records requested were already subject to investigations by the EFCC and ICPC.
“I am instructed to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission,” the letter stated.
The NFF added that documents relating to the request were currently with the two anti-graft agencies.
President Bola Tinubu approved the N12 billion intervention in January 2024 to clear outstanding financial obligations to Nigeria’s national teams.
According to the Presidency, the funds were intended to settle up to 15 months of unpaid salaries owed to senior national team coaches, as well as allowances and other outstanding payments to the Super Eagles, women’s teams and the U-20 national team.
However, outstanding payment complaints have continued within Nigerian football despite the intervention.
In November 2025, Super Eagles players reportedly boycotted training in Morocco ahead of their 2026 World Cup playoff, citing unpaid allowances dating back to 2019.
Similarly, members of the Flying Eagles teams reportedly complained in April 2026 over about N1.5 billion allegedly owed in qualification bonuses and camp allowances.
The latest investigation comes amid renewed scrutiny of the administration of Nigerian football and growing concerns over the financial management of the NFF.
The NFF President, Ibrahim Gusau, who was elected in September 2022, is seeking a second term at the federation’s scheduled September 27 elective congress.
Meanwhile, claims that the National Sports Commission is seeking to halt the election and install a normalisation committee have been denied by the NFF board.
EFCC and ICPC spokespersons could not be reached for comments as of the time of filing this report.
- Kwara senator Mustapha quits APC - August 21, 2026
- 2027: Kwankwaso submits NDC candidates’ list for North, FCT - August 21, 2026
- Plane crashes at Alaska military site, kills eight - August 21, 2026







