Breaking News

EFCC: Yahaya Bello remains wanted, not in our custody

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says the immediate past governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, is not in its custody.

The EFCC noted that Bello, who is facing prosecution for offences bordering on money laundering to the tune of N80.2 billion, remains wanted by the anti-graft agency.

The Director of Yahaya Bello Media Office, Ohiare Michael, had earlier said the former governor honoured EFCC’s invitation by making himself available at the EFCC Headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday, September 18, 2024.

Michael, in a statement, noted that the decision was made after due consultations with Bello’s family, legal team, and political allies, adding that Bello has nothing to hide.

He said: “The former governor, who has great respect for the rule of law and constituted authority, had, all the while, only sought the enforcement of his fundamental rights in order to ensure due process.

N80.2bn fraud: Yahaya Bello surrenders to EFCC

“The case has been before a competent court of jurisdiction, and Alhaji Yahaya Bello had been duly represented by his legal team at every hearing. It is important for the former governor to now honour the invitation of the EFCC to clear his name as he has nothing to hide and nothing to fear.

Speaking on the development via a statement, the EFCC spokesman, Dele Oyewale, described reports that Bello surrendered to the commission as “incorrect”.

Oyewale stated: “Media reports today that a former Governor of Kogi State, Mr. Yahaya Bello is in the holding facility of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is incorrect.  The Commission wishes to state that Bello is not in its custody.

“Bello, already declared wanted by the Commission for alleged N80.2 billion money laundering charges, remains wanted with a subsisting warrant for his arrest.”

Bello is facing prosecution by the EFCC alongside his nephew, Ali Bello, Dauda Suleiman, and Abdulsalam Hudu on 19-count charges bordering on money laundering to the tune of N80.2 billion.

The former governor had consistently refused to take a plea before the court despite several attempts made by the EFCC to this effect and arrest him by the anti-graft agency.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

US, Nigerian airstrikes kill over 20 ISIS fighters in Borno enclave

More than 20 suspected ISIS/ISWAP fighters have been killed in coordinated airstrike operations carried out…

28 minutes ago

Akume’s wife, David Mark’s daughter clinch Benue APC Reps tickets as 6 lawmakers lose re-election bid

Regina Akume, wife of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, has…

1 hour ago

Policeman dies in Third Mainland Bridge accident

A policeman has been confirmed dead in an accident on Third Mainland Bridge, inward Iyana…

2 hours ago

Death toll hits 80 as WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo international emergency

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of…

2 hours ago

Supporter killed, several injured in violence at Lagos APC primaries

A yet-to-be-identified man has been shot dead, while several others sustained injuries following a violent…

3 hours ago

Oil nears $110 amid Trump’s Iran threat

Global oil prices climbed to $109.3 per barrel on Sunday amid escalating tensions in the…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.