Categories: Sports

Ex-Real Madrid coach Arbeloa named Fulham manager

Former Real Madrid manager Alvaro Arbeloa has been appointed manager of Premier League side Fulham.

Fulham announced Arbeloa’s appointment via a statement on Wednesday.

The 43-year-old former defender – a member of Spain’s 2010 World Cup-winning squad – signed a three-year contract.

The statement read: “The club is delighted to announce the appointment of Álvaro Arbeloa as the new Head Coach of Fulham.

“The 43-year-old has agreed a three-year deal, tying him to Craven Cottage until the summer of 2029.

“Following a trophy-laden playing career, Arbeloa’s coaching journey has been forged at arguably the biggest side in the world, starting with Real Madrid’s youth sides before taking charge of the senior team last season.

Arbeloa said: “It is a real honour for me to be embarking on this new stage at Fulham FC, the oldest club in London. I feel a great sense of responsibility and I’m deeply grateful to Mr. Khan and Tony Khan for the trust they have placed in me with Fulham in the Premier League.

“I am really looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere at Craven Cottage with Fulham fans and beginning pre-season with the players next week. I am sure we are going to enjoy an incredible journey together.”

Switzerland beat Colombia to reach first World Cup quarter-finals in 72 years

Arbeloa enjoyed a highly-successful career as a player at Real, winning the Champions League twice, but fared less well in the Bernabeu dug-out when he replaced Xabi Alonso as coach in January this year.

Arbeloa, who knows the Premier League having played for Liverpool, replaces Marco Silva, who stepped down after last season, having guided them to 11th in the table, and is now in charge of Portuguese giants Benfica.

Silva filled the vacuum left by Jose Mourinho, who took over at Real Madrid and who Arbeloa previously said he would not work under.

Arbeloa’s short spell as boss at Real was marked by an early exit in the round of 16 of the Copa del Rey against second-tier Albacete and several painful defeats in LaLiga that ended their title hopes.

They were also knocked out of the Champions League in the quarter-finals by Bayern Munich as Real Madrid endured a second successive season without silverware.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

A dispatch rider has died in a multiple road accident involving two trucks and a…

5 hours ago

I’d rather win Rivers than chase campaign title — Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has explained why he will not seek…

5 hours ago

Former West Brom midfielder Quevin Castro dies at 25

Former West Bromwich Albion midfielder Quevin Castro has died at the age of 25 after…

5 hours ago

Cleric sparks debate after firing gun amid death threats

Islamic cleric Sheikh Murtala Bello Asada has sparked controversy after a video surfaced showing him…

5 hours ago

ADC: Tinubu’s 2027 campaign council shields corruption suspects

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s emerging 2027 presidential campaign council,…

5 hours ago

Edo govt denies banning Davido from state

The Edo State Government has dismissed reports that Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as…

6 hours ago

This website uses cookies.