Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has explained why he will not seek a position in President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 presidential campaign council, saying electoral results matter more than campaign titles.
Wike, who spoke on Saturday while inspecting ongoing projects in Abuja, said he was not a member of the All Progressives Congress and had no interest in becoming the campaign council’s Director-General or holding any other prominent position.
“I am not a member of the APC,” he said.
The minister argued that politicians appointed to lead presidential campaigns should be judged by their ability to deliver their political bases, rather than the prominence of their positions.
He cited former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, former Senate President Bukola Saraki, former Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal and former Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong as examples of campaign directors-general who, according to him, failed to deliver their states to their respective presidential candidates.
Wike recalled that Amaechi served as Director-General of Muhammadu Buhari’s 2015 campaign but lost Rivers State to the opposition.
He also said Amaechi could not deliver the state to Buhari in 2019, while Saraki and Tambuwal failed to deliver their respective states during the presidential campaigns they headed. Lalong, he added, also lost Plateau State while serving as Director-General of Tinubu’s 2023 campaign.
“I don’t want to lose my state. I will be in my state. I have two states, FCT and Rivers State. What’s important is, are you able to deliver those two states?” Wike said.
“Every politics is local. If you cannot deliver the president in your state, so how would you say you want election?”
Wike said his priority ahead of 2027 was to complete infrastructure projects in the FCT and demonstrate the impact of the Tinubu administration through tangible development.
“When people have asked me about campaigns, I say what is campaign? See the campaign,” he said.
“Campaign is what have you done for the people? What has the government got to show? It’s not about promises. It’s about showing action, that things indeed will have a positive impact in the lives of the people.”
The minister said more than 10 major FCT projects could be completed before the 2027 elections.
He expressed confidence that the Apo-Karshi Road would be completed by November, while the contractor handling the Bwari-Kubwa Road had indicated that the project would be delivered by December.
Wike also announced stricter enforcement of regulations governing commercial transport operators in the FCT, warning that drivers who pick up passengers outside designated terminals would have their vehicles impounded.
“We will carry them and impound their vehicles. Just watch what will happen,” he warned.
The minister further disclosed that the FCT Administration had begun reclaiming green areas allegedly converted into car dealerships and other commercial activities.
He said a task force had been established to recover such spaces, accusing some civil servants of issuing allocation papers for areas originally designated as parks and other public spaces.
“As this has come to our notice, we have set up a task force. If you don’t leave the green area, we’ll carry your vehicles. In fact, maybe we will auction them,” he said.
Wike also defended his performance in office, saying Nigerians should judge his administration by completed projects.
He disclosed plans to publish details of projects inherited from previous administrations, including those initiated between 1999 and 2007 and under subsequent administrations, alongside projects awarded by the current government.
According to him, the publication would enable Nigerians to compare inherited projects that were completed with new projects initiated under the Tinubu administration.
- I’d rather win Rivers than chase campaign title — Wike - August 22, 2026
- Former West Brom midfielder Quevin Castro dies at 25 - August 22, 2026
- Cleric sparks debate after firing gun amid death threats - August 22, 2026







