Politics

INEC suspends election in 141 PUs in Bayelsa, Edo

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has suspended Saturday’s presidential and National Assembly elections in 141 polling units in Yenegoa, Bayelsa State.

The INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, made this known while briefing newsmen on the 2023 general election in Abuja on Saturday.

Yakubu said the exercise was postponed in the affected polling units due to disruption of the election process.

He stated that the decision was made after the members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) serving as ad hoc staff expressed apprehension about going back to the locations after the disruption.

Yakubu said both the presidential and National Assembly elections at the affected polling units would take place on Sunday.

“We have a situation in Bayelsa state, particularly in the capital, Yenogoa, where in four wards: wards 4,6,8,14 involving 141 polling units, the process was disrupted.

“We remobilised security to proceed with the process but the corps members expressed some apprehension about going back.

“So we met with the security agencies and decided that voting in these 141 polling units where all the materials are actually intact will take place tomorrow morning.

“Remember we are not only conducting the presidential election but we’re also doing senatorial and federal constituencies.

“So, we will do as much as possible to conduct the election so that we can conclude the processes.

“So, we have an agreement to hold the election in these locations tomorrow,” the INEC boss said.

He stated that the commission has also suspended House of Representatives election in Esan and Igueben Federal Constituency in Edo State over the missing party logo on ballot papers.

Yakubu said the decision was arrived at after INEC meeting with stakeholders.

READ ALSO: #NigeriaElections2023: Collation of results to begin Sunday midday – INEC

“In Edo State, we had a situation that we handled yesterday, one of the parties whose logo is on the results sheet but is not on the ballot paper.

“In a meeting with the stakeholders, a decision was taken on the materials and the elections, so we have suspended the election for Esan North, South, and Iguebe.

“The ballot papers will be reprinted and the election will now hold along with the state elections on March 11, that is in the next two weeks

“We are determined that no Nigerian should be disenfranchised,” Yakubu said.

The INEC chairman also disclosed that the commission lost three additional Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) machines in Anambra State, after the eight that were earlier snatched by thugs in Delta and Kastina.

“Unfortunately, we also lost three BVAS in Ayamelum in Anambra State but we have recovered from all these losses because we have contingency arrangements to respond to such attack.

“There were issues in Abia, Imo, Kebbi, and other places; I am happy to say that the process is ongoing until the last person in the queue before 2:30 pm votes,” he stated.

Yakubu added that in Imo state, the election was ongoing except for a few areas marred by insecurity, and the voting in Kebbi was ongoing.

He said in Lagos, INEC closely followed the situation in Okota, Mafuloku, Oshodi, and Elegushi and was able to normalise the situation in a number of places while voting continued.

“We will keep our eyes on the processes in the other areas that I had mentioned,” the INEC boss added.

Yakubu said while attack had been shifted to its BVAS, INEC would continue to take measures to protect the machines as well to proceed courageously to conclude a free, fair, and credible election.

Speaking on the insecurity incident in Goza, Borno state, Yakubu said the Army had confirmed that it was an attack.

“I want to report that the military has confirmed that it was an 81 millimeter mortar attack on two facilities including a fueling station near INEC office, but no damage to INEC facilities and no casualties.

“Some people were injured and they are in hospital, we wish them a speedy recovery, but no destruction on INEC facilities and no disruption of the electoral process,” he disclosed.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Chinese woman arrested with 31kg cannabis in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a 63-year-old Chinese national, Ting Hung…

1 hour ago

NDLEA arrests drug couriers at Abuja, Enugu airports

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has intensified its nationwide operations, arresting multiple suspects…

1 hour ago

Primaries: Tinubu sweeps all votes in Borno

In Borno State, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the APC presidential…

1 hour ago

Kano APC primaries: Tinubu dominates with over 500,000 votes

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu secured a sweeping victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential…

2 hours ago

‘I mismanaged my BBNaija win’ — Phyna opens up on money, family struggles

Reality TV star and actress Ijeoma Otabor, popularly known as Phyna, has reflected on what…

2 hours ago

Inside story: How Tinubu, APC withdrew support for Fubara

Fresh details have emerged on the political rift that led President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.