Categories: NewsPolitics

INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

The Independent National Electoral Commission has confirmed it will issue a revised timetable for the 2027 general elections following the passage of the Electoral Act 2026.

Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Adedayo Oketola, said the commission is reviewing the new law and will adjust its schedule to comply with the revised 300-day notice requirement for elections.

INEC had earlier fixed February 20, 2027, for presidential and National Assembly polls and March 6, 2027, for governorship and state assembly elections, but the dates drew criticism — including concerns about a clash with the Ramadan fasting period.

Legal experts, including Senior Advocate of Nigeria Femi Falana, said a fresh timetable is mandatory, stressing that electoral schedules must align with the updated law to avoid litigation.

Political parties — among them the African Democratic Congress, New Nigeria Peoples Party, Peoples Democratic Party and the ruling All Progressives Congress — have urged INEC to act quickly so they can organise primaries, congresses and other internal activities without uncertainty.

Meanwhile, the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria opposed calls to shift election dates on religious grounds, warning that such adjustments could undermine Nigeria’s secular status.

INEC said consultations are ongoing and assured stakeholders that a harmonised timetable will be released in line with the Electoral Act 2026.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

FCT poll: APC wins Bwari, AMAC chairmanship elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared Joshua Ishaku of the All Progressive Congress…

37 minutes ago

APC sweeps Rivers assembly by-elections

Candidates of the All Progressives Congress have won the House of Assembly by-elections held in…

1 hour ago

Why opposition parties boycotted Kano by-elections

Major opposition parties — the African Democratic Congress, New Nigeria Peoples Party and Peoples Democratic…

1 hour ago

Chelsea’s Fofana, Burnley’s Mejbri racially abused on social media

Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana and Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri said they were racially abused on…

1 hour ago

‘Contractors must accept FG’s policies’: Umahi denies rift with Julius Berger

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, says he has no personal issues with Julius Berger…

2 hours ago

LaLiga: Osasuna stun Real Madrid as Atletico thrash Espanyol

Raul Garcia's superb 90th-minute strike consigned leaders Real Madrid to a 2-1 defeat at Osasuna…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.