Categories: CrimesNews

Kidnapped law school students paid ₦10m each, not rescued by police — Victim

David Obiora, one of six Nigerian Law School students recently abducted en route to Yola Campus, has revealed chilling details of their ordeal, debunking claims by the Nigerian police that they were rescued.

In an exclusive interview, Obiora, from Anambra State, recounted how he and other victims were kidnapped on July 20 along the Zakibiam-Mukari Expressway in Benue State while traveling in a commercial bus operated by Al Dampulo Company Transport Limited.

“The road was blocked with sticks and tables. The driver tried to turn back, but we got stuck. That’s when the kidnappers struck,” he said.

According to him, the victims — six law students and several traders — were beaten daily, starved, and forced to drink muddy water.

They spent five brutal days in captivity, from July 26 to July 31, and were only released after each paid a ransom of ₦10 million.

Contrary to police reports, Obiora stated that no security operatives facilitated their freedom.

“The police didn’t rescue us. We paid ransom.

“They were afraid the kidnappers might kill us, so they stayed away,” he said.

He also dismissed any intervention from the Council of Legal Education, stating, “There was no role they played.”

Obiora described their escape, which involved trekking for hours through the bush from Benue into Taraba State, until they found refuge in a restaurant near a motor park, where a transport manager later helped arrange their journey to Yola.

He further alleged that the local community was complicit in their captivity.

“Elderly women cooked for us. Children watched us go to ease ourselves. Nobody tried to help — it’s a community business,” he said, identifying the area as Jota, a Tiv-populated community in Benue State.

Obiora claimed the kidnappers operate with impunity, openly boasting about their years in the trade. He said one of them, a former soldier, revealed that he had been in the business for nine years, owned multiple cars, and funded his family’s comfortable life outside the forest.

The former soldier allegedly told Obiora that the group pays off corrupt military personnel and employs a spiritualist from Kano who uses charms to warn and suppress security forces.

“They said they don’t kill their victims — just collect ransom and release.

“They’re shielded by the community. That’s why I believe only military airstrikes can clear the area,” Obiora declared.

He called on the Nigerian military to launch a full-scale operation, including airstrikes, to dismantle the criminal network entrenched in the region.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Isaac Kekemeke emerges APC Ondo South senatorial candidate

The former All Progressives Congress (APC) National Vice Chairman, South-West, Isaac Kekemeke, has won the…

56 minutes ago

Wike pushes satellite town development, hails progress on Abuja projects

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has reaffirmed the Federal Government’s…

1 hour ago

Plateau 2027: Group faults Bida’s claims against Mutfwang

A group, Plateau Initiative for Growth and Development, has criticised alleged claims made by All…

1 hour ago

ALGON chair escapes attack by thugs in Kano

The Kano State chairperson of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) and chairman…

2 hours ago

NRS targets N40trn revenue, seeks tax compliance

The Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) says it is targeting N40 trillion in tax revenue for…

2 hours ago

Kano LGA shuts private school over alleged student abuse

The Ungogo Local Government Area in Kano State has ordered the closure of Al-Hadeed Private…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.