Former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai spent a second night in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Thursday, as his legal team protested the search of his Abuja residence.
El-Rufai was initially detained on Monday by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and released late Wednesday, but was immediately taken into custody by the ICPC, where he has remained.
Before his arrest, the former governor had written to the commission through his lawyers, indicating his willingness to honour an invitation scheduled for Tuesday.
The development followed an earlier airport incident in which operatives of the Department of State Services reportedly seized his passport.
An ICPC official confirmed Thursday night that El-Rufai was still with the commission but declined to reveal details of the investigation.
“He is still very much with us. I can’t say the offence he is being investigated for,” the source said.
The commission had earlier acknowledged taking him into custody on Wednesday night, also without stating the specific allegations.
Unverified reports have suggested the probe may be linked to the failed N11.1bn Kaduna light rail joint venture project, though this could not be independently confirmed.
Efforts to reach ICPC spokesperson John Odey were unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, El-Rufai’s media aide, Muyiwa Adekeye, said ICPC operatives searched the former governor’s residence on Aso Drive, Abuja.
According to him, El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan, described the search as unlawful and a breach of due process and fundamental rights.
“The Aso Drive residence of Malam Nasir El-Rufai was today searched by the ICPC.
“His lawyer condemned the action as unlawful and a clear violation of legal procedures and fundamental rights,” Adekeye said.
The ICPC has yet to publicly disclose the nature of the investigation as El-Rufai’s detention continues.
The Nigerian stock market extended its bullish rally on Thursday, February 19, 2026, with investors…
Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo has appointed Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson-Okojie as Special Adviser on…
The Federal Government has announced that only 30 per cent of the 2025 capital budget…
The Ogun State Police Command has concluded plans to arrest and prosecute a female TikTok…
The Independent National Electoral Commission has announced that more than 1.5 million voters have collected…
The Court of Appeal of Nigeria has deployed 51 justices to its Port Harcourt Division…
This website uses cookies.