Categories: EnvironmentNews

Makoko children plead for homes as Lagos lawmakers inspect demolition crisis

Schoolchildren and displaced residents in Makoko waterfront communities on Monday staged emotional protests as members of the Lagos State House of Assembly visited the area on a fact-finding mission over ongoing demolitions.

The lawmakers, who arrived under the House Committee on Rules and Business, were welcomed by children from the Makoko Gunuvi Students Association, who sang the national anthem and held placards reading, “Our community is our home, help us protect it,” appealing for government intervention.

The visit followed urgent complaints from residents of Makoko, Oko Agbon and Sogunro communities over alleged forced evictions and demolitions that have left many homeless.

At the centre of the dispute is a high-voltage power line running through the waterfront. While the government says buildings under the cables pose safety risks and must be cleared, community leaders argue that demolition teams exceeded the agreed limits.

Residents said an earlier understanding allowed for a 100-metre clearance, but claimed structures as far as 522 metres away had been destroyed.

Baale of Oko Agbon, Emmanuel Shemede, described the situation as a humanitarian crisis.

“Many people are now homeless; they are sleeping in their canoes, including women and children. We are not fighting the government; we only want a solution,” he said.

Community representative Kojo Phineas called for compensation for lost property and livelihoods, as well as temporary shelter for displaced families. He also alleged cases of brutality and theft during the demolition exercise.

The inspection was briefly disrupted by tensions within the community after a confrontation broke out between residents, forcing the lawmakers to move to another section to continue their assessment.

Also present was Yaba Local Government Chairman, Adebayo Adefuye, alongside officials from relevant agencies.

After the tour, Chairman of the committee, Noheem Adams, urged calm and ordered that no further demolitions take place pending the outcome of the investigation.

“Today is for inspection only. We appeal to everyone to maintain the status quo while the House reviews the situation,” Adams said.

Residents, however, insisted on the reconstruction of demolished homes and adequate resettlement for affected families. A student leader, Agbola, said Makoko represents several interconnected water communities where residents’ lives and heritage are tied to the lagoon.

Tension remains high as stakeholders await a meeting at the Lagos State House of Assembly scheduled for February 10, where lawmakers are expected to announce their decision on the crisis.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

7 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

7 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

7 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

8 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

8 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

8 hours ago

This website uses cookies.