Sports

Messi returns to training after 2-month lay off

Argentine star Lionel Messi is set to return to action with his club Inter Miami on Saturday after spending over two months out with an ankle injury.

Inter Miami coach Gerardo Martino made this known on Friday.

“Yes, he is fine. He trained on Thursday; he is in the plans for the game. After training we will figure out the strategy for him, but he is available,” Martino said before training on Friday.

Inter Miami, who lead the Eastern Conference and are top of the overall standings, host the Philadelphia Union on Saturday.

Messi injured his right ankle during the final of the Copa America on July 14 when he helped Argentina to victory over Colombia.

Since then, he has missed eight MLS games for his club and this month’s World Cup qualifiers for his country.

“To get back the best player in the world to our team, which was already on a good run, we are all very happy with this situation,” said Martino.

Suarez scores brace as Inter Miami whip Chicago Fire

Inter Miami have already booked their place in the MLS Cup playoffs although their seeding will depend on how they finish the regular season which concludes on October 19.

The playoffs begin the following week and conclude with MLS Cup on December 7.

Miami’s Finnish winger Robert Taylor concurred said Messi’s return to training had given the team a boost.

Taylor said: “We’re already confident, but he gives us even more confidence now that he’s back training and hopefully he’s ready to play soon.

“He brings a lot of leadership. The way he’s competitive in training is really, really amazing to watch. He wants to win every little thing we do in training, whether it’s football tennis, rondos, small-sided games, he just wants to win everything. So that boosts everyone to try to match that level.”

Taylor doesn’t expect to see any lasting impact of the injury on the record eight-time Ballon d’Or winner.

“Of course, two months is a long time, for anyone, but he’s the best player there is. So, I don’t think we’ll see much of a different Messi than we’ve seen before,” he added.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Gbenga Daniel withdraws from APC Senate primaries, cites security threats

Senator representing Ogun East, Gbenga Daniel, has withdrawn from the senatorial primaries of the All…

6 hours ago

APC primaries: Ex-national chairman’s son defeated in Nasarawa Reps race

Mohamed Nuraini Abdullahi Adamu, son of former All Progressives Congress National Chairman Abdullahi Adamu, has…

6 hours ago

Oyo police: We’re analysing video of abducted principal, pupils

The Oyo State Police Command has begun analysing the viral video of the abducted students…

6 hours ago

Outcry as kidnapped Oyo school principal, pupils seek rescue

A school principal in Oyo State, identified as Mrs. Alamu, has appealed for urgent help…

7 hours ago

Lagos warns against eating rotten tomatoes

The Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency has warned residents against consuming spoilt or fungus-infested tomatoes,…

7 hours ago

APC clears Yahaya Bello, 16 others for Kogi senatorial primaries

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has cleared former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello and several…

8 hours ago

This website uses cookies.