Just Politics

Meta to pay Trump $25m to settle Facebook account ban lawsuit

Meta has agreed to pay United States President Donald Trump $25 million to settle a 2021 lawsuit he filed claiming he was wrongfully censored by Facebook and Instagram after the U.S.Capitol riot.

Meta announced this on Wednesday, January 29, 2025.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the settlement of the suit brought against Meta and its chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, in what was seen as a victory for Trump.

According to people familiar with the agreement, $22 million of the payment will go towards funding Trump’s future presidential library, with the remainder covering legal fees and payments to other plaintiffs in the case.

Meta in the settlement will not admit wrongdoing over the suspensions of Trump’s accounts.

A spokesperson for Meta confirmed the settlement to AFP.

Trump had widely criticized social media platforms for suspending his accounts after the January 6, 2021, insurrection by his supporters, and comments he made that were seen as praising people engaged in the violence.

Meta to invest $65bn in AI

But he has recently courted tech titans including Zuckerberg and X owner Elon Musk, both of whom attended Trump’s presidential inauguration last week in Washington D.C.

Zuckerberg has expressed support for Trump, and he has tweaked Meta’s policies to lift restrictions on some content within the company’s apps, which include Facebook, Instagram, Threads, and WhatsApp.

Meta would be “restoring free expression on our platforms,” Zuckerberg, who reportedly dined with Trump at his Florida estate in November, said this month in announcing a rollback of fact-checking operations.

The settlement is the latest bow by media corporations as they gird for a second Trump presidency.

In December, ABC News agreed to pay a $15 million settlement payment to resolve a defamation lawsuit brought by Trump stemming from on-air comments about him made by a top anchor.

Earlier on Wednesday, Meta reported its net income soared by 59 per cent to $62.36 billion for the full year.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Kogi witches petition Ododo, say magic can’t fix bad roads

In what may be one of the most unusual civic complaints in recent times, a…

42 minutes ago

NAFDAC alerts Nigerians on revalidated infant milk formula

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has alerted the public…

3 hours ago

Nigeria wins $6.2m arbitration case against European tech firm

Nigeria has secured a major victory in an international arbitration after a tribunal dismissed all…

4 hours ago

EPL: Arsenal thrash Tottenham as Liverpool beat Nottingham Forest

Arsenal defeated Tottenham to restore their five-point lead at the top of the Premier League…

4 hours ago

Air-ground offensive repels Kukawa attack, destroys gun trucks

Troops have foiled a coordinated terrorist assault on military positions in Kukawa following an overnight…

5 hours ago

Wike hails Tinubu, says FCT polls show ‘ruling, real opposition party’

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has commended President Bola Tinubu over…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.