Crimes

NAF airstrikes kill 28 terrorists in Niger State

The Air Component of Operation Whirl Punch of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has eliminated no fewer than 28 terrorists at Bassa in the Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.

The Deputy Director of NAF Public Relations and Information, Capt. Kabiru Ali, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday, September 12, 2024.

Ali said the operation carried out on Wednesday, September 11, was targeted at the criminals terrorising communities in the Local Government Area.

He said the successful air interdiction mission was conducted upon receipt of a request for air support from friendly forces in the area.

According to him, the NAF air assets observed over 100 terrorists engaging friendly forces in a fierce firefight.

Ali noted: “After confirming the positions of friendly troops, the NAF conducted precision airstrikes on the terrorists’ positions.

NAF airstrikes kill terrorists, destroy 25 illegal refineries

“The strikes were devastating, neutralising dozens of terrorists in successive passes.

“As of the time of reporting, 28 bodies had been recovered from the target area, with several more terrorists, weapons, and burnt motorcycles still being cleared.”

Ali said the operation underscored the NAF’s commitment to protecting the nation and supporting sister services and other security agencies in combating banditry, terrorism, insurgency and all other forms of criminality.

He added: “Nigerians can be assured that NAF will continue to conduct air operations, both independently and in collaboration with surface forces.

“This is to eliminate all threats to the peace, prosperity and security of our great nation.”

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

4 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

4 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

5 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

5 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

5 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

6 hours ago

This website uses cookies.