Sports

Newcastle’s Tonali faces ban for betting, Juventus’ Fagioli slammed 7 months

Newcastle midfielder, Sandro Tonali, is facing a lengthy ban from football after admitting to betting on AC Milan matches while a player at the Italian club.

Sonali, in a hearing at the Italian Federation in Turin on Tuesday, October 17, admitted to making bets on AC Milan to win games.

He admitted to betting on matches – both in which he played and didn’t play – for Milan to win.

The 23-year-old midfielder was one of the players named in an Italian football betting probe last week, and was withdrawn from the senior men’s squad for last night’s defeat to England.

According to FIFA Code 26, conduct such as this can see players face up to a three-year ban from worldwide football.

According to Sky Sports, Tonali is likely to face a lesser, but still lengthy ban for his help with the investigation – and for admitting his guilt.

READ ALSO: West Ham’s Paqueta withdrawn from Brazil squad for betting

Tonali, who signed for Newcastle for £55 million from AC Milan in the summer, is expected back in Newcastle on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Tonali’s agent admitted the player had a gambling problem and said he faces the biggest challenge of his career.

Newcastle face Crystal Palace at home on Saturday.

Also on Tuesday, Juventus midfielder, Nicolo Fagioli, the first player named in the probe, was served a seven-month ban for betting on football.

He self-reported himself, while Tonali did not.

Fagioli had five months of a one-year ban suspended and was fined 12,500 euros (£10,848), while he agreed to a therapy plan of at least six months to tackle his gambling problem, the FIGC announced.

In a statement on its website, the governing body said the 22-year-old midfielder violated the rule “that prohibits betting on football events organised by FIGC, UEFA and FIFA”.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PHOTOS: Police arrest illegal mortician in Akamkpa

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…

2 hours ago

UBA launches platform to connect global Africans with investments, wealth opportunities

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…

4 hours ago

Ribadu directs El-Rufai to submit evidence on toxic chemical purchase to DSS

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has asked Nasir El-Rufai, former governor of…

5 hours ago

Gov AbdulRazaq faces backlash over pledge to deliver FCT for APC amid Kwara insecurity

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has come under heavy criticism after a viral video…

5 hours ago

NLC demands end to power privatisation, condemns N3trn GenCo bailout

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned Nigeria’s electricity privatisation, describing the exercise as a…

8 hours ago

Miyetti Allah denies terror links, seeks FG intervention over US sanctions bill

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has denied any involvement in banditry,…

8 hours ago

This website uses cookies.