Crimes

Organisers arrested as many children die in Ibadan funfair stampede

The Oyo State Government has confirmed the arrest of the organisers of the children’s funfair where several deaths and injuries were recorded on Wednesday, December 18, 2024.

The Oyo State Deputy Governor, Bayo Lawal, made this known during his visit to Adeoyo State Hospital in Ibadan, the state capital, to sympathise with the victims on Wednesday.

Several persons, mostly children, were feared dead while many others were injured during a children’s carnival at Basorun Islamic High School in Ibadan.

The deputy governor said it was disheartening that the funfair’s organisers failed to inform security agencies about the event knowing that many residents would be eager to attend.

“We are not exonerating anybody connected to this incident, but the government is awaiting the report of the security agencies and we have given a timeline to know the next line of action,” Lawal said.

Lawal however urged the people of the state to be careful of the kind of event they attend during this Yuletide season.

The Oyo State Government had earlier disclosed that the victims were taken to five hospitals in Ibadan, including Adeoyo State Hospital and the University College Hospital (UCH).

Property worth millions of naira destroyed as fire razes shops in Ibadan

It was gathered that most of the victims and their parents gathered at the carnival’s venue as early as 5 a.m. on Wednesday.

Several others arrived late Tuesday to be among the first to benefit at the funfair which had promised a free distribution of food items.

On the actual figure of casualties, the Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Adewale Osifeso, said an investigation into the incident was ongoing.

“Investigation is in progress. Updates would be provided accordingly,” Osifeso said.

However, it was further learnt that no fewer than 20 dead bodies were brought to Adeoyo State Hospital from the carnival venue.

Several other victims were also seen receiving treatment.

Speaking, a parent who came to pick the corpse of his eight-year-old child, Idowu Muiz, blamed the incident on the current economic hardship in the country.

Muiz said the hardship led him to allow his family members to attend the funfair.

Several other parents were seen at the hospital weeping over the death of their children.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Ohaji group petitions Tinubu, Uzodinma over APC Reps ticket dispute

A socio-political group, the Ohaji Patriotic Forum (OPF), has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,…

1 minute ago

Hull City promoted to Premier League for first time in 9 years

Hull City were promoted to the Premier League after a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in…

25 minutes ago

Police rescue 12 kidnapped passengers, intensify search for others in Ondo

The operatives of the Ondo State Police Command have rescued 12 passenger abducted by gunmen…

1 hour ago

Kaduna APC members unanimously endorse Tinubu for 2027

Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State have unanimously endorsed President Bola…

2 hours ago

Tinubu secures landslide win as rival polls zero at Ikoyi APC primary

President Bola Tinubu recorded a sweeping victory at the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary…

4 hours ago

2027: Ganduje’s son joins Reps race under NDC

AbdulAziz Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, son of former APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has entered…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.