Just Politics

Peru’s Prime Minister Otarola resigns

The Prime Minister of Peru, Alberto Otarola, has resigned amid allegations of influence-peddling to help a young woman he is said to have addressed lovingly in recordings released by news media.

Otarola, who resigned on Tuesday, March 5, 2024, told reporters in Lima that “in conversation with the president of the republic I have announced my decision to present my resignation.”

Otarola is a seasoned politician and lawyer who acted as chief of staff to President Dina Boluarte, who ordered him home from an official trip to Canada after the scandal erupted last weekend.

Otarola, 57, is married and has five children.

Over the weekend, the television program Panorama released what it said were recordings of Otarola in conversation with a 25-year-old woman, Yazire Pinedo, who landed two contracts this year worth a total of $14,000 to do archive and administrative work for the government.

In one of the recordings a man alleged to be the prime minister said to her: “tell me, then, my love, so we can talk. You know these things are annoying, they are a pain, but you also know that I love you,” apparently referring to the red tape involved in bidding for a government gig.

Otarola has denied any violation of Peruvian labour laws or other wrongdoing.

Palestinian Prime Minister Shtayyeh resigns

“I understand the gravity of the political circumstances but I repeat that I did not do anything illegal,” he said on X (formerly Twitter) on Tuesday.

The president’s office had said in a statement earlier on Tuesday that it would hear Otarola out before deciding what to do.

Pinedo said the leaked conversations with Otarola were from 2021, before he was a cabinet minister.

But she acknowledged having had a brief “perhaps sentimental relationship” with him.

Opposition parties on both the right and left had demanded Otarola resign, according to AFP.

Prosecutors said they will probe him for possible conflict of interest and “illegal sponsorship”.

Boluarte, 61, came to power in 2022 after then leftist president Pedro Castillo tried to dissolve Congress and rule by decree, leading to his quick ouster and arrest.

Violent protests followed in several cities to demand Boluarte step down and for fresh elections to be held.

The ensuing crackdown by security forces left almost 50 people dead, according to an estimate by Human Rights Watch, which accused the authorities of extrajudicial and arbitrary killings.

Multiple legal proceedings were launched after the crackdown to investigate if Boluarte bears any responsibility for the deaths.

Boluarte is Peru’s sixth president since March 2018 and the first woman to hold the post.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PHOTOS: Police arrest illegal mortician in Akamkpa

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…

3 hours ago

UBA launches platform to connect global Africans with investments, wealth opportunities

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…

4 hours ago

Ribadu directs El-Rufai to submit evidence on toxic chemical purchase to DSS

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has asked Nasir El-Rufai, former governor of…

5 hours ago

Gov AbdulRazaq faces backlash over pledge to deliver FCT for APC amid Kwara insecurity

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has come under heavy criticism after a viral video…

6 hours ago

NLC demands end to power privatisation, condemns N3trn GenCo bailout

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned Nigeria’s electricity privatisation, describing the exercise as a…

8 hours ago

Miyetti Allah denies terror links, seeks FG intervention over US sanctions bill

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has denied any involvement in banditry,…

8 hours ago

This website uses cookies.