Sports

Portugal players blast Argentine referee over loss to Morocco

Portugal players, Pepe and Bruno Fernandes, lashed out at the Argentine referee in charge of their 1-0 World Cup quarter-final defeat by Morocco on Saturday, claiming his nationality impacted the game.

Argentina progressed on Friday by beating the Netherlands and should they reach the final, might play against Morocco if they win their semi-final against France.

The match referee, Facundo Tello, his two assistants, and the video assistant referee were all from Argentina.

“It’s unacceptable for an Argentine referee to referee our game.

“After what happened yesterday, with (Lionel) Messi talking, all of Argentina talking, and the referee comes here.

“What did we play in the second half? The goalkeeper dropped to the ground. There were only eight minutes of stoppage time. We worked hard and the referee (only added on) eight minutes,” Pepe said on Portuguese television on Saturday.

Argentina striker, Lionel Messi, had complained about the refereeing of his team’s clash with the Netherlands, saying too much time had been added on.

Portugal’s main complaint was that too little had been in their clash with Morocco, critical of supposed time-wasting by the North African side in the second half.

READ ALSO: Morocco beat Portugal, become first African country to reach World Cup semi-finals

Bruno Fernandes complained that far more injury time should have been added, adding that referees from teams still involved in the tournament should not be appointed to matches.

“We already know how it works… before the game we already knew what we were in for, and what kind of referee we would find,” Fernandes, who was also furious after not being awarded a first-half penalty. said.

“Unfortunately, in these competitions, where there are no Portuguese referees, there are referees from teams that are still in the competition.

“It seems strange to me, to say the least, but I don’t want to get into that, because that’s not the only reason we lost.

“The referee gave two minutes of injury time in the first half and eight in the second. In this second half, the game was stopped, at minimum, for between 15 and 20 minutes.

“We knew that we would play against much more than just Morocco,” Fernandes added.

However, Portugal coach, Fernando Santos, said he did not think the officials made a big difference in his team’s elimination.

“I don’t think so, I think he could have called for a foul on one or two (more) occasions but generally speaking I don’t think so.

“I think we could have done more and we didn’t do so. I don’t think we should blame the referee, it doesn’t make sense,” Santos said.

The coach, who has a contract until after Euro 2024, said he would discuss his future in the days to come with the Portuguese football federation.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PHOTOS: Police arrest illegal mortician in Akamkpa

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…

5 hours ago

UBA launches platform to connect global Africans with investments, wealth opportunities

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…

7 hours ago

Ribadu directs El-Rufai to submit evidence on toxic chemical purchase to DSS

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has asked Nasir El-Rufai, former governor of…

8 hours ago

Gov AbdulRazaq faces backlash over pledge to deliver FCT for APC amid Kwara insecurity

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has come under heavy criticism after a viral video…

8 hours ago

NLC demands end to power privatisation, condemns N3trn GenCo bailout

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned Nigeria’s electricity privatisation, describing the exercise as a…

11 hours ago

Miyetti Allah denies terror links, seeks FG intervention over US sanctions bill

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has denied any involvement in banditry,…

11 hours ago

This website uses cookies.