Education

Reps move to end NASU strike, summon minister

The House of Representatives has resolved to halt the planned strike by the Non-Academic Staff of Universities (NASU), with a move to intervene in the dispute between the Federal Government and staff of Nigerian universities.

The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on University Education, Abubakar Fulata, made the move at a meeting with the officials of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and NASU in Abuja on Thursday, March 28, 2024.

Others at the meeting included the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) as well as other relevant stakeholders.

The SSANU President, Mohammed Ibrahim, who also spoke on behalf of the unions, said the unions embarked on a one-week warning strike recently because of the non-payment of their withheld salary in 2022.

Ibrahim said despite President Bola Tinubu’s waiver and directive that four months of their withheld salary over the 2022 industrial action be paid, it had not been adhered to.

‘We’ll decide next action’: SSANU, NASU end strike

He added that the Ministry of Education and Office of Accountant General of the Federation had not complied.

The SSANU President noted that the unions were planning to go on an indefinite strike any moment from now should the government fails to comply with their demands.

Ibrahim said their counterpart, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), had been paid the four months withheld salary and wondered why the government would not pay their own salary.

Also speaking, NAAT President, Ibeji Nwokema, said that the Federal Government had not fully complied with the 2009 and 2017 agreements reached with the unions.

Nwokema said shortly after the end of the seven-day warning strike which started on March 20, NAAT officials met and agreed to begin an indefinite strike in April.

However, Fulata appealed to the unions to give the committee and the entire House of Representatives time to meet with relevant authorities on the issues.

Fulata said the House would resume on April 16 and would take drastic actions on their issues, hence the need to put on hold notices of a strike.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Lagos honours 506 LG workers for long service

The Lagos State Government has honoured 506 officers of the Unified Local Government Service for…

6 hours ago

Tinubu urges 2027 candidates to shun violence, ethnic politics

President Bola Tinubu has urged political parties and candidates contesting the 2027 general elections to…

6 hours ago

FAAC shares N3.007trn July revenue to FG, States, LGs

The Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) has distributed N3.007 trillion to the Federal Government, the…

6 hours ago

I refused Akpabio, Dangote’s calls to delete Osun tweets — Davido

Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has claimed that Senate President Godswill Akpabio…

6 hours ago

Varsity gets N53m TETFund grants for banditry, mosquito research

The Federal University Dutse, FUD, has secured two Tertiary Education Trust Fund research grants totalling…

7 hours ago

EFCC recovers N4.5bn AGO in alleged oil conversion case

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has recovered 2.3 million litres of Automotive Gas…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.