Reps summon Cardoso, Edun over Fiscal Act breach

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, and the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, are to appear before the joint House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts and Public Assets on Monday, June 16, 2025.

The House made this known via a statement jointly issued by the chairman of the committee, Bamidele Salam, and his Public Assets counterpart, Ademorin Kuye, on Saturday, June 14.

Cardoso and Edun are expected to make clarifications on allegations of non-compliance with the provisions of the Fiscal Responsibility Act 2007.

They are also expected to make clarifications on internal control weaknesses identified in the 2021 reports by the Auditor-General for the Federation.

The two committees had jointly transmitted the invitation letter to the affected officials requesting them to provide details on remittances of operating surplus to the Federation Account by the CBN, in line with the extant laws.

Cardoso: Inflation is real killer of businesses

The Fiscal Responsibility Commission and the Auditor-General for the Federation had earlier submitted reports alleging that several Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), including CBN, had failed to remit or under-remitted their operating surplus as required by extant financial law in the last six years.

The Public Accounts Committee chairman said the violations had negatively impacted the liquidity of the federal government, thus constituting a hindrance to the effective implementation of the budgets passed by the parliament.

The committee said it had given both the finance ministry and the CBN ample opportunity to reconcile their accounts and present their positions to determine the degree of financial liabilities involved, hence the need for the final hearing to resolve the issues.

It added that it was looking at the auditor-general for the federation’s statutory report, which suggested that a number of public assets, fully paid for, had not been completed and put into use for many years.

“Some of these projects in Dutse, Abeokuta, and other locations were awarded between 2011 and 2016 but have yet to be completed, according to audit reports,” the committee said.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Osun guber: Oyebamiji visits Tinubu in Abuja, sues for peace

The All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the August gubernatorial election in Osun State,…

4 hours ago

Ex-NEPA, PHCN pensioners protest 25-year delay in N350bn entitlements

Retirees of the defunct National Electric Power Authority (NEPA) and Power Holding Company of Nigeria…

5 hours ago

Davido banned from Edo performances over Okpebholo feud — Gov’s aide

The Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo, Kassy Chukwu,…

5 hours ago

100 days after Borno school abductions, families demand rescue

One hundred days after dozens of students were abducted from schools in Borno State, their…

6 hours ago

Fake agency: Tinubu orders arrest of Perm Sec, suspends three others

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the suspension of three permanent secretaries and the immediate arrest…

6 hours ago

Troops recover AK-47, arrest arms dealer in Plateau

Troops of Operation Enduring Peace have arrested a suspected arms dealer and recovered an AK-47…

6 hours ago

This website uses cookies.