Health

Sanwo-Olu raises street sweepers’ salary by 20%

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has increased the salary of sanitation workers in Lagos State by 20 per cent.

Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr. Ibrahim Odumboni, disclosed this while meeting with the sweepers on Wednesday, February 8, 2023 in Lagos.

Odumboni said that the governor had earlier promised to increase the sanitation workers salary at a recent rally organised by the Association of Waste Managers of Nigeria (AWAMN) in support of the presidential bid of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

He told the workers that they would be provided with new work tools such as overalls, boots, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), among others to enable them discharge their duties effectively.

Odumboni said that the government was committed to providing the necessary support for the sweepers to carry out their roles efficiently.

He urged the sanitation workers to ensure they perform their civic responsibility by voting at the forthcoming elections.

He appealed to them to spread the word to their neighbourhoods and to exercise their voting rights.

READ ALSO: Lagos approves 50% cut in transport fare, creates food banks

Odumboni added that the government was counting on them to make their voices heard through their votes.

He eulogised the APC presidential candidate, Tinubu, whom he said introduced the Private Sector Participants (PSP) operations and street sweeping schemes during his tenure as Lagos State governor.

Odumboni said Tinubu laid the foundation for effective waste management which the state was currently benefiting from.

The sweepers expressed their gratitude to the governor and promised to redouble their efforts in cleaning the state.

They also promised to stand behind the governor and Tinubu at the polls.

The Star

Editor

Recent Posts

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

A dispatch rider has died in a multiple road accident involving two trucks and a…

4 hours ago

I’d rather win Rivers than chase campaign title — Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has explained why he will not seek…

4 hours ago

Former West Brom midfielder Quevin Castro dies at 25

Former West Bromwich Albion midfielder Quevin Castro has died at the age of 25 after…

4 hours ago

Cleric sparks debate after firing gun amid death threats

Islamic cleric Sheikh Murtala Bello Asada has sparked controversy after a video surfaced showing him…

4 hours ago

ADC: Tinubu’s 2027 campaign council shields corruption suspects

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s emerging 2027 presidential campaign council,…

4 hours ago

Edo govt denies banning Davido from state

The Edo State Government has dismissed reports that Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.