Crimes

Scores killed in twin explosions at Somalia’s education ministry

Two car bomb explosions at the education ministry in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, killed and wounded scores of people on Saturday.

It was not known who was behind the blasts but the Islamist group, al Shabaab, frequently carries out bombings and gun attacks in Mogadishu and elsewhere.

“Two car bombs hit the walls of the ministry,” police captain, Nur Farah, disclosed.

Farah added that the first explosion hit the ministry, while the second blast occurred when ambulances arrived and people gathered to help the victims.

A police officer guarding the ministry, who gave his name as Hassan, disclosed that he saw at least 12 bodies and more than 20 people wounded.

READ ALSO: Biden speaks on Paul Pelosi’s attack, says enough is enough

State news agency said the blasts had caused “scores of civilian casualties including independent journalist Mohamed Isse Kona.”

A Reuters journalist near the blast site said the two explosions occurred within minutes of each other and smashed windows in the vicinity.

Blood from victims of the blasts covered the tarmac just outside the building, he said.

“The second blast burnt our ambulance as we came to transport the casualties from the first blast,” Abdikadir Abdirahman of the Aamin Ambulance Service told Reuters.

A driver and a first aid worker had been injured in the blast, he said.

Al Qaeda-allied al Shabaab, which has been fighting in Somalia for more than a decade, is seeking to topple the central government and establish its own rule based on a strict interpretation of sharia law.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Troops bust cow rustling ring fueling Benue killings

Troops of the Joint Task Force, Operation Whirl Stroke, have arrested suspected cattle rustlers linked…

35 minutes ago

US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

The United States government has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of…

50 minutes ago

Madagascar cyclone: Over 16,000 displaced as death toll rises to 59

No fewer than 59 people have been confirmed dead in Cyclone Gezani in Madagascar. The…

54 minutes ago

El-Rufai arrives EFCC’s office as supporters, opponents clash in Abuja

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai on Monday appeared at the headquarters of the Economic…

1 hour ago

FG files criminal charges against El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone

The Federal High Court of Nigeria sitting in Abuja has filed criminal charges against former…

1 hour ago

PalmPay denies loan claims, warns against defamatory content

PalmPay Nigeria has issued a disclaimer distancing itself from what it described as defamatory content…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.