Categories: Sports

Son Heung-min asked to leave Tottenham after 10 years

Tottenham captain Son Heung-min said on Saturday that he will leave the club this summer after a decade in north London.

Son joined Tottenham from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015 and went on to play more than 450 times for Spurs.

In May, the 33-year-old attacker lifted the Europa League trophy but he had a poor season overall by his high standards and struggled with a series of leg injuries.

“Before we start the press conference I wanted to say I have decided to leave the club this summer,” the South Korean told reporters in Seoul, where Tottenham are on a pre-season tour.

“Respectfully the club is helping me with this decision.”

Son, who has scored 173 goals for Spurs, did not say where he intends to go next and cut an emotional figure.

He has been linked with a move to the MLS in the United States.

“It was the most difficult decision I have made in my career. Such amazing memories. It was so hard to make the decision,” Son said, flanked by new Tottenham boss Thomas Frank.

Achraf Hakimi faces 15-year sentence for rape trial

“I need a new environment to push myself. I need a little bit of change – 10 years is a long time. I came to north London as a kid, 23 years old, such a young age.

“I leave this club as a grown man, a very proud man.”

Speaking in Korean, Son said that winning a European trophy – Tottenham’s first European crown in 41 years – played “a big part” in his thinking.

He said: “Winning a title in Europe felt like I had achieved everything I possibly could.

“I spent a lot of time reflecting on whether I wanted to experience football in a different environment, and I had those conversations with myself over and over again.”

Frank, who joined Spurs from Brentford in June, paid tribute to the South Korean skipper.

He said: “For me, personally, I would have loved to have worked with this fantastic person and player.

“He is a true Spurs legend in every aspect, one of the greatest players to play in the Premier League.”

Spurs will face Newcastle United on Sunday in Seoul, and Son is guaranteed a rapturous reception in front of his home fans.

Spurs have had a fairly quiet summer in the transfer market so far, with attacking midfielder Mohammed Kudus from West Ham their only major acquisition.

Morgan Gibbs-White had looked set to follow from Nottingham Forest but a £60 million move broke down.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Apollo eye infection: Causes, symptoms, how to prevent it

Lukman Abdulmalik Conjunctivitis, commonly known as Apollo or “pink eye,” is an inflammation of the…

26 minutes ago

Apollo cases confirmed in Yobe as eye infection spreads

The Yobe State Specialist Hospital, Potiskum, has confirmed cases of acute haemorrhagic conjunctivitis, popularly known…

41 minutes ago

FIFA sacks COO Lamour after criticising Infantino

Kevin Lamour has been sacked as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer after criticising president Gianni Infantino's…

2 hours ago

DisCo official electrocuted in Enugu

A staff member of MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL), Samson Okechi, has been confirmed dead…

2 hours ago

Paramount seeks $1.9bn bond in legal battle over Warner Bros merger

Paramount Skydance has asked a California court to require a coalition of U.S. states challenging…

3 hours ago

Stock market opens week bearish as investors lose N107bn

The Nigerian stock market opened the week on a negative note on Monday, August 17,…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.