Just Politics

South Korean police raid Jeju Air, airport over plane crash

South Korean police, on Thursday, January 2, 2025, raided the offices of Jeju Air and the operator of Muan International Airport as part of the probe into the fatal crash of a Boeing 737-800 plane that killed 179 people in the country.

The flight was carrying 181 people from Thailand to South Korea on Sunday, December 29, 2024, when it issued a mayday call and belly-landed before slamming into a barrier, killing everyone aboard except two flight attendants pulled from the burning wreckage.

Authorities carried out search and seizure operations at the Muan airport where flight 2216 crashed, a regional aviation office in the southwestern city, and Jeju Air’s office in the capital Seoul.

South Korean and United States investigators, including from Boeing, have been combing the crash site since the disaster to establish a cause, with both black boxes found and decoding work ongoing.

Police said in a statement: “In relation to the plane accident, a search and seizure operation is being conducted from 9 a.m. (0000 GMT) on January 2 at three locations.

“The police plan to swiftly and rigorously determine the cause and responsibility for this accident in accordance with the law and principles.”

Death toll in Jeju Air plane crash rises to 179

Police told AFP the search warrant was issued, and Yonhap reported it was approved on charges of professional negligence resulting in death, citing officials.

South Korea has also announced it will inspect all Boeing 737-800 aircraft operated by its carriers, focusing on the landing gear, which appears to have malfunctioned during the Sunday crash.

South Korea’s acting president, Choi Sang-mok, said on Thursday that “immediate action” must be taken if that probe uncovered any issues with the aircraft model.

Authorities have previously said 101 aircraft of the same model were in operation by six different airlines.

Choi said: “As there’s great public concern about the same aircraft model involved in the accident, the transport ministry and relevant agencies must conduct a thorough inspection of operation maintenance, education, and training.

“If any issues are found during the inspection, please take immediate corrective action.”

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PalmPay denies loan claims, warns against defamatory content

PalmPay Nigeria has issued a disclaimer distancing itself from what it described as defamatory content…

24 minutes ago

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

A dispute over access to a graveyard on Monday escalated into violent clashes in Kaduna…

56 minutes ago

Troops kill 2 terrorists, recover weapons in Ondo

The troops of 32 Artillery Brigade, Nigerian Army, have neutralised two terrorists during a tactical…

1 hour ago

Troops foil terrorist attacks, kill ISWAP commander in Borno

The troops of the Joint Task Force (North East) under Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) have…

1 hour ago

Tinubu’s Adamawa visit fuels speculation over Fintiri’s defection

President Bola Tinubu will on Monday undertake a one-day official visit to Adamawa State, where…

2 hours ago

El-Rufai plotting political tension, diversion from corruption probe ― Presidency

The Presidency has accused former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai of deliberately seeking to stir…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.