The United States Secret Service has killed a gunman who drove into the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s resort in Palm Beach, Florida.
The Secret Service said the gunmen attempted to drive into the president’s residence as another vehicle was exiting before being shot and killed on Sunday morning.
The Secret Service disclosed that the man, who was in his early 20s and from North Carolina, had a gas can and a shotgun.
The service spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi, in a statement, said the gunman had been reported missing by his family a few days ago, adding that he headed south and picked up the shotgun along the way.
Guglielmi said a box for the weapon was discovered in the man’s vehicle after the incident, which occurred at about 1:30 a.m. on Sunday.
The man killed was identified by investigators as 21-year-old Austin Tucker Martin, a person familiar with the matter told AFP.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to publicly discuss details of the investigation.
Trump has faced threats to his life before, including two assassination attempts during the 2024 campaign.
Trump vows to raise global tariff rate to 15%
Although the president often spends weekends at his resort, he and first lady Melania Trump were at the White House when the breach at Mar-a-Lago occurred.
After entering near the north gate of the property, the man was confronted by two Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy, according to Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw.
“He was ordered to drop those two pieces of equipment that he had with them. At which time he put down the gas can, raised the shotgun to a shooting position,” Bradshaw said at a brief press conference.
The two agents and the deputy “fired their weapons to neutralise the threat”.
The FBI asked residents who live near Mar-a-Lago to check any security cameras they may have for footage that could help investigators.
Investigators are working to compile a psychological profile and a motive is still under investigation.
Asked whether the individual was known to law enforcement, Bradshaw said “not right now”.
- US Secret Service kills gunman trying to access Trump’s residence - February 22, 2026
- NAFDAC recovers N3bn fake cosmetics at Lagos warehouse - February 22, 2026
- NDLEA nabs real estate CEO for drug dealing in Lagos - February 22, 2026








