News

Yahaya Bello pleads not guilty to N110bn fraud charges

The immediate past governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, has pleaded not guilty to the 16-count charges filed against him and his co-defendants by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Bello denied the allegations before Justice Maryann Anenih of Abuja High Court as the court registrar reeled out the counts on Wednesday, November 27, 2024.

After taking their plea, the defence counsel, Joseph Daudu (SAN), moved an application for bail.

But the EFCC lawyer, Kemi Pinheiro (SAN), opposed the bail plea, saying the application expired in October.

Making clarifications, the defence counsel said the only relevant application before the court was the motion for bail in respect of Bello, which was filed on November 22.

Relying on all the paragraphs of the affidavit, Daudu added that the bail application was also supported with a written address.

“Exhibit A, which is the public summons is very vital and the appearance of the defendant in court today, shows he has respect for the law,” he said.

The EFCC had earlier moved for trial to commence immediately and was ready to call its first witness.

At last, EFCC arrests Yahaya Bello

But Daudu argued that they were served with the charge at 11 p.m. on Tuesday, November 26, and that he would need time to prepare his client.

On the bail application, the lawyer said a defendant, in line with the law, is innocent until proven guilty.

He said: “It is within his rights to enjoy his liberty while preparing for trial.

“The prosecution’s objection is based on the fact that he is facing charges at the Federal High Court and has refused to appear to take his plea.

“The court should not use issues from another court to determine issues before the FCT High Court.”

Pointing out some paragraphs in the counter affidavit, Dauda said the prosecution raised issues that had to do with a matter at the Federal High Court.

“When the jurisdiction of the court is challenged, the defendant needs not to appear until the issues arising from the jurisdiction are resolved,” the lawyer added.

Pinheiro, however, disagreed with Daudu.

He argued that his preliminary objection was anchored on three grounds – competence of the application, factual content of the application, and application of judicial principles and guidance.

Umar Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu had earlier been admitted to administrative bail by the EFCC.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

I drugged her, spent ransom on betting — Ogun teacher

The Ogun State Police Command has arrested a 30-year-old private school teacher, Nathaniel Baiyegun, over…

15 minutes ago

Tinubu secures landslide victory in Abia APC presidential primaries

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has emerged as the winner of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

56 minutes ago

Nigeria’s borders secure against Ebola threat — NIS

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has dismissed concerns that the country’s land borders could serve…

1 hour ago

Ohaji group petitions Tinubu, Uzodinma over APC Reps ticket dispute

A socio-political group, the Ohaji Patriotic Forum (OPF), has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,…

10 hours ago

Hull City promoted to Premier League for first time in 9 years

Hull City were promoted to the Premier League after a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in…

10 hours ago

Police rescue 12 kidnapped passengers, intensify search for others in Ondo

The operatives of the Ondo State Police Command have rescued 12 passenger abducted by gunmen…

11 hours ago

This website uses cookies.