Just Politics

Zelenskiy sacks Ukraine’s military medical boss, urges system reform

Ukraine’s President, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, has sacked the commander of the country’s military medical forces and demanded rapid changes in the operations of the medical system.

Zelenskiy’s move was announced on Sunday as he met Defence Minister, Rustem Umerov, and coincided with debate over the conduct of the 20-month-old war against Russia, with questions over how quickly a counteroffensive in the east and south is proceeding.

“In today’s meeting with Defence Minister Umerov, priorities were set. There is little time left to wait for results. Quick action is needed for forthcoming changes,” Zelenskiy said in his nightly video address.

The president said he had replaced Major-General Tetiana Ostashchenko as commander of the Armed Forces Medical Forces.

“The task is clear, as has been repeatedly stressed in society, particularly among combat medics, we need a fundamentally new level of medical support for our soldiers,” he added.

This, he said, included a range of issues – better tourniquets, digitalisation, and better communication.

READ ALSO: Russia fines Apple for not deleting content on Ukraine war

Umerov acknowledged the change in a post on the Telegram messaging app, and laid out digitalisation, tactical medicine, and rotation of servicemen as his top priorities.

“The experience of the effectiveness of specific units should be extended to the entire defense forces,” he said

Ukraine’s military reports on what it describes as advances in recapturing occupied areas in the east and south and last week acknowledged that troops had taken control of areas on the eastern bank of the Dnipro River in the southern Kherson region.

According to Reuters, Ukrainian commander-in-chief General Valery Zaluzhniy, in an essay published this month, said the war was entering a new stage of attrition and Ukraine needed more sophisticated technology to counter the Russian military.

While repeatedly saying advances will take time, Zelenskiy has denied the war is headed into a stalemate and has called on Kyiv’s Western partners, mainly the United States, to maintain levels of military support.

Ostashchenko was replaced by Major-General Anatoliy Kazmirchuk, head of a military clinic in Kyiv.

Her dismissal came a week after a Ukrainian news outlet suggested her removal, as well as that of others, was imminent following consultations with paramedics and other officials responsible for providing support to the military.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

PHOTOS: Police arrest illegal mortician in Akamkpa

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a mortician after uncovering an unlicensed mortuary…

1 hour ago

UBA launches platform to connect global Africans with investments, wealth opportunities

United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has unveiled a new diaspora banking and investment platform…

2 hours ago

Ribadu directs El-Rufai to submit evidence on toxic chemical purchase to DSS

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has asked Nasir El-Rufai, former governor of…

3 hours ago

Gov AbdulRazaq faces backlash over pledge to deliver FCT for APC amid Kwara insecurity

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara State has come under heavy criticism after a viral video…

4 hours ago

NLC demands end to power privatisation, condemns N3trn GenCo bailout

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned Nigeria’s electricity privatisation, describing the exercise as a…

6 hours ago

Miyetti Allah denies terror links, seeks FG intervention over US sanctions bill

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has denied any involvement in banditry,…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.