At least 46 bodies have been recovered and 15 passengers rescued after a boat carrying 77 people capsized in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The accident occurred on Thursday as the boat was reportedly transporting farmers, including women and children, to their rice farms.
The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that rescue operations were still underway for 16 passengers who remained missing as of the time of filing this report.
The command’s spokesperson, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said local divers, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the police were involved in the search.
“Forty-six corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive,” Rufai said.
He added that 77 people were on board the boat when it capsized.
The cause of the accident was yet to be established.
A resident of Gorau, who spoke anonymously, said the incident occurred on Thursday morning, prompting local divers and emergency responders to launch an immediate search for survivors.
The resident said only a few passengers were initially rescued, while several bodies were subsequently recovered from the water.
The resident appealed to authorities to intensify the rescue operation as families continued to await information about their relatives.
A senior NEMA official, who identified himself as Alhaji Ibrahim, said the agency had mobilised personnel to the community to support the rescue operation.
The incident has plunged Gorau into mourning and occurred exactly a year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo Local Government Area.
Reacting to the tragedy, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, described the incident as devastating and called for urgent measures to prevent a recurrence.
In a statement issued by his media aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya expressed concern that some of the victims were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 who were travelling with farmers and labourers.
“I am deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of precious lives in Gorau. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost their loved ones and those whose relatives are still missing,” he said.
Dan’iya commended local divers and residents participating in the rescue effort and urged the state government and emergency agencies to deploy additional personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment.
He also called for proper identification and documentation of the victims to ensure that affected families receive appropriate assistance.
According to him, the incident underscored the need for safer transportation for farming communities located around waterways.
“No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” he said.
Dan’iya urged the state government to assess waterways across Sokoto, regulate boats and operators, provide life jackets and emergency equipment, train boat operators and construct bridges or alternative crossings where necessary.
He condoled with the families of the deceased and residents of Gorau, Goronyo and Sokoto State, while urging residents to cooperate with emergency responders as the search for the missing passengers continues.
- Tinubu to Adeleke: Don’t stigmatise opponents, unite Osun - August 20, 2026
- 46 dead, 15 rescued in Sokoto boat mishap - August 20, 2026
- Nnamdi Kanu’s brother to El-Rufai: You abandoned us, now you stand alone - August 20, 2026






