Suspected Lakurawa terrorists have killed no fewer than 35 people during an attack on seven villages Kebbi State.
The Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, confirmed that the terrorists attacked villages in the Bui area of the state at about 12:15 a.m. on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Usman said the assailants also made off with cattle in the raids, adding that police, soldiers, and local vigilantes were immediately deployed to the area.
“Scores of people were killed as residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal, and Dan Mai Ago mobilised to resist the attackers,” Usman said.
A resident in one of the villages told AFP that at least 35 people had been killed.
Troops disrupt terrorist gathering, arrest arms smugglers in Yobe
The resident said: “We were in our homes when we heard gunshots.
“People outside began to run into their shelters, gunshots hit some people.”
The attacks came days after Kebbi State hosted Argungu fishing festival, about 60 kilometres (38 miles) from the Arewa region, where the attacks took place.
The Lakurawa group has been blamed for many of the attacks on communities in the northern part of the state and in neighbouring Sokoto State.
- FCT election: Wike declares Friday work-free day, restricts movement on Saturday - February 19, 2026
- Postecoglou: I made bad decision to join Nottingham Forest - February 19, 2026
- Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe - February 19, 2026








