The Edo State Government has dismissed reports that Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has been banned from entering the state.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Kassim Afegbua, described the report as false and said the government had no intention of restricting the singer’s movement.
An online report had claimed that Davido was barred from entering Edo following the political dispute between his family and Governor Monday Okpebholo during the recently concluded Osun governorship election.
Reacting in a statement on Friday, Afegbua said the state government dissociated itself from what he described as “spiteful behaviour by an impostor and fraud.”
“Our enemies are at it again; we did not ban Davido from entering Edo State,” he said.
The commissioner said Edo remained open to everyone regardless of political affiliation, beliefs or persuasion.
He added that the government would be willing to work with Davido if the singer decided to perform in the state.
“Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo State; he’s exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him,” Afegbua said.
“Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him. Whatever transpired in Osun State in the wake of last week’s election was purely politics and nothing more.”
Afegbua said the disagreement between Davido and Okpebholo during the Osun election campaign should not be interpreted as a personal dispute.
He described Davido as one of Nigeria’s global ambassadors whose music had helped promote the country internationally.
The commissioner also praised the singer’s achievements in the entertainment industry and expressed hope that he would eventually win a Grammy Award.
- I’d rather win Rivers than chase campaign title — Wike - August 22, 2026
- Former West Brom midfielder Quevin Castro dies at 25 - August 22, 2026
- Cleric sparks debate after firing gun amid death threats - August 22, 2026







