Categories: News

Amotekun arrests 39 suspects hiding in Ondo forests after fleeing Sokoto

The Ondo State Security Network Agency, also known as the Amotekun Corps, has arrested 39 people who reportedly left Sokoto State and moved into forest reserves across Ondo State.

The Corps Commander, Adetunji Adeleye, announced the arrests in Akure on Tuesday while parading the suspects, along with 22 others detained for different offences.

Adeleye explained that the group was intercepted around the Elegbeka area of Ose Local Government, a location long considered a security hotspot.

He said the suspects claimed they moved into the forests after a recent U.S.-supported military operation targeting ISIS-linked terrorists in northern Nigeria.

He added that the state requires anyone staying in forest reserves to obtain proper permits, noting that the sudden presence of such a large group raised security concerns.

According to him, the suspects were not found traveling on foot but were hiding inside the forests, with their vehicles parked some distance away.

He said they were tracked, rounded up, and are now being profiled, with those found with illegal items to be prosecuted.

Adeleye explained that the arrests form part of Amotekun’s “ember months” security operations across the state.

“So far, about 100 suspects have been picked up, with 61 presented to the public.

Outlining the offences, he said 50 were arrested for breaching public order, two for violating anti-open grazing laws, six for kidnapping-related allegations, and three for cases involving gender-based violence.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

PalmPay denies loan claims, warns against defamatory content

PalmPay Nigeria has issued a disclaimer distancing itself from what it described as defamatory content…

13 minutes ago

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

A dispute over access to a graveyard on Monday escalated into violent clashes in Kaduna…

45 minutes ago

Troops kill 2 terrorists, recover weapons in Ondo

The troops of 32 Artillery Brigade, Nigerian Army, have neutralised two terrorists during a tactical…

1 hour ago

Troops foil terrorist attacks, kill ISWAP commander in Borno

The troops of the Joint Task Force (North East) under Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) have…

1 hour ago

Tinubu’s Adamawa visit fuels speculation over Fintiri’s defection

President Bola Tinubu will on Monday undertake a one-day official visit to Adamawa State, where…

2 hours ago

El-Rufai plotting political tension, diversion from corruption probe ― Presidency

The Presidency has accused former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai of deliberately seeking to stir…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.