Categories: NewsTop Stories

Atiku demands El-Rufai’s release before Eid-el-Kabir

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has called for the immediate release of former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai ahead of the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations, describing his continued detention as unfair and politically troubling.

In a statement issued on Friday through his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku said keeping El-Rufai in custody during the Muslim festive period was “cruel, unjustifiable and deeply troubling.”

The former vice president warned against what he described as the use of state institutions to intimidate political opponents, insisting that democracy must be guided by justice, fairness and respect for civil liberties.

“At a time when millions of Muslims are preparing for Eid-el-Kabir, it would be unconscionable for any government to deny a citizen his liberty without just cause, especially under circumstances that raise concerns of political persecution,” Atiku said.

He added that Eid-el-Kabir symbolises sacrifice, compassion and reconciliation, stressing that there was no reason to keep El-Rufai away from his family during such an important religious celebration.

Atiku urged the Federal Government and Kaduna State authorities to act in the interest of justice and national unity by releasing the former governor.

According to him, democracy should not be used as a platform to punish dissent or settle political scores.

“Mallam El-Rufai remains a Nigerian citizen entitled to constitutional rights, including liberty, dignity and due process,” he stated.

The former PDP presidential candidate also called on authorities to be transparent if the former governor’s detention is tied to a legal process.

El-Rufai is currently facing trial alongside Joel Adoga before Justice Rilwan Aikawa of the Federal High Court in Kaduna over alleged money laundering and corruption-related offences.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission had earlier confirmed that the court granted El-Rufai access to medical treatment while in custody following an application by his legal team.

The former governor and his co-defendant are facing a 10-count charge bordering on alleged possession and conversion of proceeds of corruption under the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022. Both men have pleaded not guilty to the charges.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

Otedola raises First HoldCo investment with N20.7bn share purchase

Billionaire businessman Femi Otedola has further increased his stake in First HoldCo Plc after acquiring…

11 minutes ago

Osun poll: NBA urges INEC to upgrade BVAS before 2027

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to…

49 minutes ago

FG raises Justice Ministry lawyers’ robe allowance to N1m

The Federal Government has approved a new annual robe allowance of N1 million for state…

52 minutes ago

Police impound five Air Peace vehicles over Lagos airport disruption

The Nigeria Police have impounded five vehicles belonging to Air Peace as part of investigations…

59 minutes ago

983 candidates fail 2026 Bar resit as failure rate rises to 50.3%

A total of 983 candidates have failed the May 2026 Bar Final Resit Examination, representing…

1 hour ago

Champions League play-offs: Full fixtures as 14 clubs battle for seven spots

The final seven places in the 2026/27 UEFA Champions League league phase will be decided…

10 hours ago

This website uses cookies.