The Federal High Court sitting in Bauchi has been informed that the Department of State Services (DSS) is still holding a resident, Mallam Rabiu Habibu Wanka, in custody four months after his arrest without arraignment or formal charges.
The development was raised on Wednesday during proceedings in a fundamental rights enforcement suit challenging the legality of his continued detention.
At the hearing, counsel to the applicant, Barrister Kamal Isa, told the court that both parties had already adopted their written processes in the matter.
He informed the court that the DSS had acknowledged that the applicant remained in custody despite not being charged to court.
According to him, the prolonged detention amounts to a violation of Wanka’s fundamental rights as guaranteed by the Constitution and the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015, which sets limits for lawful detention.
Barrister Isa argued that the detention clearly exceeded permissible legal timelines and urged the court to invoke its powers under Sections 296 (6) and (7) of the ACJA to order Wanka’s release.
He added that even if the court was unwilling to grant all the reliefs sought, it should at least compel the DSS to either release the applicant or arraign him within seven days of judgment.
The matter was subsequently adjourned until June 11, 2026, for judgment.
Wanka was reportedly arrested by DSS operatives in Bauchi State on January 8, 2026, a day before his daughter’s wedding, shortly after observing afternoon prayers in the Kuntum area of Bauchi Local Government Area.
Family members said the arrest was carried out in the presence of his children and neighbours, describing the incident as sudden and distressing.
A relative alleged that operatives masked the arrest and whisked him away without providing reasons for his detention.
The family also claimed that the operatives conducted a search during the operation and allegedly seized personal items, including mobile phones, identity cards, ATM cards, a laptop and other documents belonging to the household and wedding guests.
Since his arrest, the family said they have not been informed of any charges against him, raising concerns over what they describe as prolonged and unexplained detention.
The DSS has not publicly commented on the allegations as of the time of filing this report.
Manchester City have accepted a £65.4 million (€76.5 million) bid from Barcelona for their star…
Security authorities in Niger have arrested 331 people, including 27 minors, during a major anti-drug…
The vice-presidential candidate of Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Rabiu Kwankwaso, says his decision to be…
Two people died when fires broke out on a Greek island, and Belgium was tackling…
The Zamfara State Government has begun training 250 teachers, evaluators and education administrators in artificial…
Osun State Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) and…
This website uses cookies.