Categories: News

Brickmakers buried alive in Kano pit collapse

Several brickmakers were reportedly trapped early Wednesday after a pit collapsed in Ridawa village, Kano State.

Confirming the incident, Sani Bala, the lawmaker representing the Ghari/Tsanyawa Federal Constituency, said about 10 persons were believed to be buried beneath the rubble.

He urged authorities to immediately deploy rescue teams to the site to save the trapped workers.

The victims were said to be digging for earth used in brick production when the pit suddenly gave way, trapping them underground.

As of the time of filing this report, it remained unclear whether any of the victims had been rescued. Witnesses said community members and emergency volunteers began digging frantically shortly after the collapse in an effort to reach those trapped.

However, Kano State Fire Service spokesperson, Saminu Abdullahi, said the agency had yet to receive an official report on the incident.

“We have not received any report on the incident. The Ghari office has not received any information yet. As soon as we get details, we will update the public,” Abdullahi stated.

LUKMAN ABDULMALIK

Recent Posts

2027: Atiku reopens subsidy debate, vows to reverse Tinubu’s policy

Former Vice President and African Democratic Congress presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has put petrol subsidy…

36 minutes ago

US national debt rises to $40trn for first time, sparks fresh fiscal concerns

The United States' national debt has climbed above $40 trillion for the first time, raising…

1 hour ago

FCTA reseals orphanage over unauthorised operation

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has resealed Divine Hope Orphanage and Less Privileged Home in…

1 hour ago

Police arrest Edo man over sexual assault of 12-year-old apprentice

The Edo State Police Command has arrested a man, identified as Orji Okoro, over the…

2 hours ago

Messi scores first goal since father’s death

Argentina captain Lionel Messi scored his first goal since the ​death of his father earlier…

2 hours ago

60-year-old man shot dead after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osun

The Osun State Police Command has confirmed the killing of a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf,…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.