Banking

CBN ex-deputy gov: Emefiele didn’t have Buhari’s approval for naira redesign

Edward Adamu, the fourth prosecution witness in the trial of the former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Godwin Emefiele, says the latter did not have the approval of either ex-President Muhammadu Buhari or the CBN Board for the redesign of naira notes in October 2022.

Adamu, a former CBN Deputy Governor, made this known while speaking before Justice Maryanne Anenih at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in the Maitama area of Abuja on Wednesday, October 9, 2024.

Led in evidence by prosecution counsel Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), Adamu disclosed that the usual process for currency redesign begins with the Director of Currency Operations submitting a proposal to the Committee of Governors (COG).

The witness said the COG then transmits the proposal to the CBN Board for approval, with the final stage being the seeking of presidential endorsement.

He told the court that Emefiele bypassed these procedures by simply calling for a COG meeting and presented what he claimed was a presidential approval and proceeded with the redesign.

EFCC denies sharing N54bn recovered from Emefiele’s associates

Adamu said: “I became aware of it in October 2022 when the governor informed us, the deputy governors, that he had gotten an express approval to redesign the currency. Then on the 26th October, 2022, we were formally informed of the presidential approval of the redesign, so that is what happened in October; then there was a formal announcement of the currency redesign.

“At the meeting, the governor showed us the approval of the president, by showing us the page where the approval of the president is. Subsequently, there was a board meeting of the board of directors, where we were also informed of the presidential approval of the currency redesign.”

He further disclosed that the current designs of the notes fundamentally differ from what was originally approved, stating that Emefiele unilaterally made the changes.

The redesign affected N200, N500, and N1000 notes.

When the defence counsel, Olalekan Ojo (SAN), sought to know if there had been instances where presidential approval was gotten for an action before the CBN Board was informed, the witness stated that such was not the practice during his time at the apex bank.

Justice Anenih, thereafter, discharged the witness from the dock at the end of the cross-examination and adjourned the matter till October 17, 2024, for the continuation of trial.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

5 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

5 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

6 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

7 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

7 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.