Entertainment

Celine Dion returns to live stage at Paris Olympics opening ceremony

Ace Canadian singer Celine Dion made a comeback to the live stage on Friday, July 26, 2024, singing Edith Piaf’s classic “L’Hymne A l’Amour” to close the Paris Olympics opening ceremony.

The 56-year-old singer said in late 2022 that she had been diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder called stiff-person syndrome that causes muscle spasms.

The syndrome causes muscle rigidity and increased sensitivity to sound, touch and emotional stimuli that can trigger spasms. The condition led the multiple Grammy winner to cancel all of her tour dates for 2023 and 2024.

“In the ceremony we have a love anthem and that’s L’Hymne A l’Amour. We all wanted to finish the show with this song and our first idea was very simple and clear. We wanted to ask the best singer to sing love and this is Celine Dion.

Celine Dion cancels shows over health challenges

“It was obvious for us to ask her to do that to close the ceremony,” artistic director Thomas Jolly told Reuters on Friday.

Dion, who started her career singing in French, had not performed live since March 2020, when she appeared in New Jersey.

“How proud we are! Our Celine singing Edith Piaf’s L’hymne à l’amour at the Opening Ceremonies of the Paris Olympic Games,” Quebec Premier Francois Legault wrote on X.

Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrote on X: “A proud Quebecer from Charlemagne is on stage at the Opening Ceremony! Celine Dion is a Canadian icon, an incredible talent, and she overcame a lot to be there tonight.

“Celine, it’s great to see you singing again.”

Dion, best known for the “Titanic” movie theme song “My Heart Will Go On”, was first spotted in Paris on Tuesday, triggering speculation that she would be part of Friday’s extravaganza.

Referred to as the “Queen of Power Ballads”, she is noted for her powerful and technically skilled vocals.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Shell urges contractors to strengthen safety standards in Nigeria

Shell has called on its contracting partners to sustain high safety standards across their operations…

3 hours ago

EFCC arraigns two over supply of bank access credentials

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned two men before the Federal High Court…

3 hours ago

Davido speaks on attack on Adeleke’s convoy in Osun

Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has dismissed reports linking Governor Ademola Adeleke’s…

4 hours ago

Bayelsa Assembly suspends Sagbama council chair, deputy

The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has suspended the Chairperson of Sagbama Local Government Area,…

4 hours ago

Tinubu orders five-year national security threat assessment, defence plan

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate preparation of a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and…

5 hours ago

Plateau attack: Army chief moves tactical HQ to Mangu

The General Officer Commanding, 3 Division Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation Enduring Peace, Major…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.