News

DSS: Why we occupied Lagos EFCC office

The Department of State Services (DSS) says its officers did not barricade the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in the Ikoyi area of Lagos State on Monday, May 30.

The Star had reported that the DSS operatives stopped the EFCC officers from entering their office on Monday.

The spokesman of the secret police, Peter Afunanya, who made this known via a statement, said there is no rivalry between the DSS and the EFCC.

Afunanya stated: The attention of the Department of State Services (DSS) has been drawn to some media reports that it barricaded the EFCC from entering its Lagos office. It is not correct that the DSS barricaded EFCC from entering its office. No. It is not true.

“The Service is only occupying its own facility where it is carrying out its official and statutory responsibility.

READ ALSO: EFCC laments DSS’ siege on Lagos office, says action shocking

“By the way, there is no controversy over No. 15A Awolowo Road as being insinuated by the Media. Did the EFCC tell you it is contesting the ownership of the building? I will be surprised if it is contesting the ownership. Awolowo Road was NSO headquarters. SSS/DSS started from there. It is common knowledge. It is a historical fact. Check it out.

“There is no rivalry between the Service and the EFCC over and about anything. Please do not create any imaginary one. They are great partners working for the good of the nation. Dismiss any falsehood of a fight.”

Speaking on the development earlier, the EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, disclosed that the agency’s office was barricaded with armoured personnel carriers.

Uwujaren said: “This development is strange to the Commission given that we have cohabited with the DSS in that facility for 20 years without incident.

“By denying operatives access to their offices, the Commission’s operations at its largest hub with over 500 personnel, hundreds of exhibits, and many suspects in detention have been disrupted.

“Cases scheduled for court hearing today have been aborted, while many suspects who had been invited for questioning are left unattended. Even more alarming is that suspects in detention are left without care with grave implications for their rights as inmates.

“All of these have wilder implications for the nation’s fight against economic and financial crimes.

“The siege is inconsistent with the synergy expected of agencies working for the same government and nation, especially when there are ongoing discussions on the matter,” the EFCC official stated.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

NURTW names Lagos Park after Tinubu

The Lagos chapter of the National Union of Road Transport Workers has unveiled a multi-million-naira…

4 minutes ago

Ministry of health orders immediate retirement of long-serving directors

The Federal Ministry of Health has directed the immediate disengagement of directors who have spent…

51 minutes ago

FG probes Temu over alleged data protection breaches

The Federal Government has opened a probe into Chinese-owned e-commerce giant Temu for suspected data-law…

56 minutes ago

Reps in rowdy session over move to reverse Electoral Act amendment

Proceedings in the House of Representatives of Nigeria were disrupted on Tuesday, February 17, 2026,…

2 hours ago

Police begin probe as 2 crew members die at Lekki film location

The Lagos State Police Command has commenced an investigation into the death of two members…

2 hours ago

Anambra seals shops in Ogidi, Obosi markets over Monday sit-at-home

The Anambra State Government has sealed several shops at the Building Materials Market in Ogidi…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.