Liverpool earned a crucial 3-1 win against relegation-threatened Burnley on Saturday to return to the top of the Premier League after being briefly unseated by champions Manchester City.

Liverpool are hunting a record-equalling 20th English top-flight title in Jurgen Klopp’s final season in charge but once again have relentless City for company at the top of the table.

The Reds, beaten by title rivals Arsenal last week, were not at their fluent best but did enough to get over the line against Vincent Kompany’s men, who remain seven points from safety.

City, who beat Everton 2-0 at home in the early kick-off, are two points behind Liverpool with a game in hand as they chase an unprecedented fourth consecutive English top-flight title.


Liverpool were gifted the lead when Burnley goalkeeper, James Trafford, came for a Trent Alexander-Arnold corner but missed the ball and Diogo Jota headed into an empty net for his ninth Premier League goal of the season.

Premier League: Haaland’s double over Everton sends Man City to top

But they were pegged back minutes before half-time when Dara O’Shea’s bullet header from a corner gave Liverpool goalkeeper, Caoimhin Kelleher, no chance.

Liverpool were a different proposition in the second half and Luis Diaz put them back in front in the 52nd minute with a header from close range.

David Datro Fofana squandered clear chances to equalise for the visitors – Kelleher saved well from the forward minutes before Fofana curled wide of the post.

The home fans breathed a huge side of relief when Darwin Nunez headed in Harvey Elliott’s fine cross in the 79th minute to open up a two-goal lead, which ultimately proved enough to secure the three points.

Erling Haaland scored his first goals since November as Manchester City beat Everton 2-0.

Pep Guardiola’s team were well below their best as they laboured to break down the stubborn visitors at a nervous Etihad Stadium but Haaland struck twice late in the second half.

They are his first strikes since returning from an absence of nearly two months due to a foot injury.

Tottenham climbed back into the top four after Brennan Johnson fired into the roof of the net deep into stoppage time to complete an impressive comeback against Brighton.

Pascal Gross scored from the penalty spot in the 17th minute after Danny Welbeck was caught by Micky van de Ven.

But Spurs were level just after the hour mark through Pape Matar Sarr, giving them the platform to chase the win.

Bottom side Sheffield United beat Luton 3-1 to record just their third league win of the season but remain seven points behind the home side, who are one place above the drop zone.

Brentford saw off Wolves 2-0 courtesy of Christian Norgaard’s first-half header and a fine team goal late in the game finished off by Ivan Toney.

Rodrigo Muniz scored twice as Fulham beat Bournemouth 3-1.

Third-placed Arsenal travel to West Ham on Sunday while high-flying Aston Villa host Manchester United.

The Star



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here