Categories: HealthNews

FG boosts national preparedness, says no Ebola case in Nigeria

The Federal Government has reassured Nigerians that there is no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease in the country, while intensifying preparedness and surveillance measures nationwide.

The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Pate, gave the assurance in a statement issued on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.

Pate said the government had activated precautionary measures following recent Ebola outbreak in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda to strengthen national health security.

Pate said surveillance systems had been reinforced across the country, while relevant agencies such as the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) and Port Health Services were closely monitoring developments.

He noted that the ministry is also collaborating with the World Health Organization (WHO) and regional health authorities to ensure early detection and rapid response to any potential threat.

“While Nigeria currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease, the Federal Government is taking all necessary proactive measures to strengthen national preparedness, surveillance and coordination mechanisms,” the minister stated.

Pate added that ongoing measures included enhanced surveillance, improved monitoring activities nationwide and strengthened screening protocols at all points of entry into the country.

Pate said health declaration procedures had been reinforced in collaboration with Port Health Services to reduce the risk of importation of the disease into Nigeria.

Death toll hits 80 as WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo international emergency

He stated that coordination with state ministries of health and other stakeholders had been intensified to ensure effective response mechanisms across all levels of government.

According to him, laboratory preparedness and diagnostic capacity had also been strengthened to enable prompt detection and confirmation of suspected cases.

The minister said infection prevention and control measures were being reinforced in health facilities, while public awareness campaigns and community engagement activities had also been stepped up.

Pate urged Nigerians to remain calm, avoid panic, and refrain from spreading misinformation that could cause unnecessary fear among the public.

Pate also advised Nigerians to observe preventive measures such as regular handwashing and avoiding contact with bodily fluids of persons showing symptoms of illness.

Ebola Virus Disease is a severe and often fatal illness transmitted through direct contact with infected bodily fluids.

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Kano ASUU decries salary gaps in 2025 pact

The Kano Zonal chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities has condemned what it…

23 minutes ago

Police arrest 230 suspects in Kano

The Nigeria Police Force in Kano State has announced the arrest of 230 suspects and…

53 minutes ago

Sowore and the politics of consequence-free dissent

By STEPHEN OKOROAFOR Omoyele Sowore has spent much of his public life presenting himself as…

1 hour ago

Desmond Elliot withdraws from APC primaries

Lagos State lawmaker and actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC)…

1 hour ago

‘Tinubu doesn’t trust me’: Cubana Chief Priest speaks on APC Reps ticket loss

Nigerian socialite Pascal Okechukwu, fondly called Cubana Chief Priest, says President Bola Tinubu does not…

1 hour ago

Beheaded Teacher Michael was someone’s son, by FUNKE EGBEMODE

By FUNKE EGBEMODE It is another sad day in Nigeria. Another dark day. His only…

1 hour ago

This website uses cookies.