The Federal Executive Council has approved an amendment to the National Mental Health Act to remove criminal penalties for attempted suicide in Nigeria.
The amendment, which will be forwarded to the National Assembly for consideration and enactment, is aimed at shifting the response to attempted suicide from punishment to care, protection and treatment.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Ali Pate, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing State House correspondents after the FEC meeting presided over by President Bola Tinubu in Abuja.
Pate said attempted suicide remained a criminal offence under colonial-era provisions of the Criminal Code Act and Penal Code, despite the National Mental Health Act 2021 providing for supportive care for people at risk of self-harm.
“As you all know, suicide is a major public health concern in Nigeria, as well as several other countries.
“According to the World Health Organisation, it is responsible for more than 7,000 deaths annually, with an estimated 300,000 suicide attempts across the country each year,” he said.
The minister said criminalising attempted suicide could discourage people at risk from seeking help and was inconsistent with the provisions of the 2021 Mental Health Act.
“The idea is that attempted suicide is not a crime. This legal approach discourages help-seeking behaviours and also conflicts with our national mental health policy and the National Mental Health Act 2021, which provides for supportive care, protection and treatment for individuals at risk of self-harm,” Pate said.
He explained that the proposed amendment followed consultations involving the Ministries of Health and Social Welfare and Justice, mental health advocates, the Attorney-General’s Office, a task force and members of the National Assembly.
“A task force had been set up following a resolution of the House of Representatives, which is supportive of this, and together with the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and Justice, worked towards an amendment of the Mental Health Act,” he said.
FEC approves National Centre for Oral Health Bill
Pate also disclosed that the Council approved the National Centre for Oral Health Establishment Bill 2026 for transmission to the National Assembly.
He said the proposed centre would serve as a national referral and research institution while providing a comprehensive legal and institutional framework for tackling oral diseases and related conditions.
Council approves N237bn National Hospital projects
The minister further announced FEC approval for several infrastructure projects at the National Hospital, Abuja.
The approved projects include an administrative block estimated at N18.74 million, a modular clinics and theatre complex valued at N64.92 billion, a high-end wing costing N103 billion and a Neuroscience Institute estimated at N69 billion.
“In line with the President’s direction to boldly transform this country through infrastructural upgrades and equipment for the health sector, the Council has also today approved contracts to be awarded,” Pate said.
He explained that the proposed Neuroscience Institute would provide specialised facilities for neurosurgical, radiological, interventional and rehabilitative services for patients suffering from conditions including stroke and brain tumours.
“Ultimately, quality healthcare is not cheap. To have the healthcare system we need, Nigeria has to invest in it,” the minister said.
N302bn cancer institute approved
The Council also approved N302.3 billion for the design, construction, furnishing, equipping, supervision and commissioning of a National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (NICRAT) Centre.
Pate said the project was expected to be completed within 36 months and would serve as a flagship institution for cancer research, treatment, innovation and capacity development.
He noted that three upgraded cancer centres in Katsina, Benin and Enugu had already been completed and commissioned.
“These two major investments are really modernising the infrastructure landscape for the health sector, which will serve Nigerians and hopefully provide services that will make it even less likely for Nigerians to have to travel long distances to get the care that they need,” he said.
According to Pate, the projects are being funded through appropriations to the relevant government agencies, with due process and competitive procurement procedures followed.
He said the Bureau of Public Procurement had also provided the required clearances for the projects.
The minister added that improved healthcare infrastructure would create better working conditions for health professionals and help reduce the pressure that drives Nigerian medical personnel to seek opportunities abroad.
Pate said the projects formed part of the Federal Government’s broader efforts to expand healthcare infrastructure and improve access to quality medical services across the country.
The Osun State Police Command has confirmed the killing of a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf,…
The Apapa Area Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has generated N28.1 billion in…
The Nigerian stock market closed bearish on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, recording a loss of…
The naira depreciated at the official market on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, trading at N1,350.41…
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has filed an eight-count charge against an FCMB staff…
A non-denominational pressure group, Christian Conscience, has urged political parties and candidates to make their…
This website uses cookies.