Crimes

Flooding: Abia records 21 deaths, receives FG’s relief items

The Executive Secretary of Abia State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Dr Sunday Jackson, says the state has so far recorded 21 deaths from flooding in different communities.

Jackson said this during the distribution of relief materials to some victims by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in Umuahia, the Abia State capital, on Friday.

He stated that Abia was one of the 32 states predicted by the Nigeria Hydrological Services to suffer high probable flood risk, noting that the disaster did not only claim 21 lives but ravaged many communities, farmlands, and means of livelihood of the victims.

The SEMA boss noted that Abia State recorded flooding in 16 of the 17 local government areas (LGAs).

“We are believing that this assistance by the Federal Government will go a long way to cushion the effects of the disaster,” Jackson said.

READ ALSO: U.S. Speaker Pelosi’s husband attacked in 2a.m. break-in

Also speaking at the event, the Director-General of NEMA, Dr Mustapha Ahmed, commiserated with the Abia State Government over the disaster.

He said the Federal Government could not fully compensate the victims for their traumatic experiences.

Ahmed, who was represented by the Head of NEMA, Owerri Operations Office, Ifeanyi Nnaji, said the relief items were meant to ameliorate the sufferings of the victims.

The NEMA boss stated that the 2022 Annual Flood Outlook forecasted that 233 LGAs in 32 states and the Federal Capital Territory were within highly probable flood risk areas.

He said 212 LGAs in 35 states of the federation were within moderately probable flood risk areas.

“Already, the agency is inundated with reports of flooding from 36 states and the FCT and still counting, causing loss of lives, livelihood, property, and infrastructure,” Ahmed said.

Receiving the items on behalf of the Abia State Government, the Permanent Secretary, Bureau of Special Services, Okey Ihedioha, thanked the Federal Government for its timely intervention and gesture.

Ihedioha, who represented Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, promised that the items would be equitably distributed to the victims.

The relief items included rice, beans, maize, iodized salt, kegs of 20-litre vegetable oil, cartons of seasoning cubes, and tin tomatoes.

Also distributed were thousand pieces of nylon mats, mosquito nets, five yards of Guinea Brocade, children’s wear as well as women and men’s wear.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Dangote Group signs $400m deal to accelerate refinery expansion

Dangote Group has signed a $400 million agreement with XCMG Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. to…

3 hours ago

Tinubu commends Fintiri’s projects, vows continued economic reforms

President Bola Tinubu on Monday visited Yola, Adamawa State, assuring Nigerians of sustained economic reforms…

3 hours ago

EFCC investigates trader for currency counterfeiting in Enugu

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Enugu Zonal Directorate, have launched an investigation…

4 hours ago

14-year-old Esther Etiyemonu becomes Lagos one-day Governor

In a celebration of academic excellence, 14-year-old Esther Etiyemonu, a Senior Secondary School II (SSS…

4 hours ago

Women’s groups call for immediate passage of special seats bill to boost representation

Women’s rights advocates on Monday staged a peaceful rally at the National Assembly, calling for…

4 hours ago

Lassa fever: Two health workers die, 15 infected

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has raised fresh concerns over the rising spread…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.